What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak Roll Servo Installation In a RV-8

I'll have to hunt for a picture Brian, but the trim and servos do fit - just barely. I think I might have used the same line of rivets for the two brackets - one inside and one outside. Definitely you want to have both at the same time when doing the installation!

Paul

briand said:
Does anyone have a picture of this for their 8? It looks like it attaches to the weldment between the two control sticks. Are there any issue with it interfering with the ail. trim.?
My installation has been roughed in, final tweaking will come later. No conflict with the aileron trim is apparent.

fuselageassembly33820ln8.jpg

I put the trim in after I had put the servo mount on my 8QB and had some problems with overlapping rivets due to each units' rivet line not quite lining up. I suggest that you install both at the same time and try to get one rivet line for both mounts where they overlap.

Otherwise no problems...

Deene

Hey Rick, that's exactly what mine looks like! Now I don't have to go hunting for a photo....;)

briand said:
Thanks.

Is that the Stein cable?
Yes. All you have to do is assemble the color-coded wiring into the plugs after you route the harness.

Also, I installed the aileron trim bracket early in the subassembly phase (as the plans suggested) and experienced no conflict with the TruTrack bracket when it was installed much later...after the "canoe" was built.

I did my aileron trim brkts. a long time ago, before any of the floor ribs were riveted because all the holes had to be cut out by hand (old kit).

What is the bolt used on the pitch trim to belcrank? I see TT is calling out for a .200 hole in the bellcrank. I'm thinking I can go ahead and drill that hole. Any thing to look out for there?

TruTrak install on -8

briand said:
Does anyone have a picture of this for their 8? It looks like it attaches to the weldment between the two control sticks. Are there any issue with it interfering with the ail. trim.?

http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/documents/RV-8RollInstall.pdf

Brian:

I have some pictures at home and will upload later. I just installed mine. No interference with the aileron trim but you may and probably will have interference with the angle support under your front seat panel. This can be solved by grinding off about four inches of the angle to make it clear the servo arm area.

Chris

Follow-up on TruTrak Roll Servo bracket

Brian:

As promised here's a couple of picture of my installation. Keep in mind this is a retrofit. It's much easier to do when building.

In the first photo note the position of the bracket relative to the front spar. I had earlier run a couple of wires through this section and didn't want to move them so I nibbled a little space out of the bracket to let the wires remain. You'll also note that I used pop rivets and even a screw in one spot. Once the stick and aileron trim bracket are mounted, it's pretty difficult to get a "real" rivet gun into this area. If you haven't installed the electric trim bracket yet then you may be able to move the entire assembly back and share the same rivet holes. This will probably also eliminate the next problem I ran into which was the stiffener for the forward floor was positioned squarely in the middle of the servo arm at its highest position. If I were an engineer I couldn't have planned it more perfectly. I had to cut down the stiffener for clearance.

To answer you're original question, there is no interference with the aileron trim when mounted as shown below. Hope this helps.

Chris

=briand
What is the bolt used on the pitch trim to belcrank? I see TT is calling out for a .200 hole in the bellcrank. I'm thinking I can go ahead and drill that hole. Any thing to look out for there?
The bolt is just an AN3. You can lay out and drill it anytime. Doing it during bellcrank assembly is just as good a time as any. Curious....where did you find that .200 dimension?

fuselageassembly35615jf4.jpg

Back