What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Troubleshoot spray issue

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I've been learning to prime with a spray gun on my empennage fiberglass parts. I've got an HVLP gun but my first couple attempts have left a "sandstone" type of textured finish. It looks great, but kind of like what you get in the Rustoleum Textured spray cans where the texture ends up being about the size of sand grains. Any off-the-top-of-your-head suggestions for what I might do to set up the gun differently to get it to smooth out more? More/less pressure? More/less paint?

Always something new to learn it seems! Thanks.

Last edited:
Thin your product more with reducer

No reason why thinning it more before shooting should not give you the finish you'd like to see.

Try This

About 12" +/-. Would my results indicate I should be holding it closer or farther away? Thanks.

I have not used an HVLP gun, but here is what I do.

Depending on the size of what you are painting?

If I was to be doing a 2ft x 2 ft piece at 70 or so degrees temp, I would start with the exact mix that the paint system calls for. Hold it about 7 to 9 inches apart from the surface.

Before you paint something you intend to keep, try it on something not to porous that you will not keep.

Adjust your gun for a lighter 4" fan pattern and go slow enough so it does not leave your swath dry or drippy.

If you want to go faster open up the paint adjustment and balance it with a little bit more air and maybe more distance. If it is consistently powdery or just no gloss you need some slower flashing reducer or retarder additive.

Start by using the proportions they recommend and then there are those adjustments for area, style and desired thickness.

BIG TIP! It is way easier to come back and ad a little than it is to take it off or fix it.

You will get it, but it does take practice.

By the way, I am real good at painting, but the only fun part is after its all done.

I'm far from.....

Being an expert on this but I'll take a stab at this. The gun tip should be about 8 inches from the surface, about the width of your thumb tip to your little finger tip when spread out as wide as possible. It sounds like the paint is drying before it hits the surface. Don't know where you live or how hot it is there but sometimes a reducer will slow the drying so the paint can flow out. I use the PPG Concept system which has a different reducer for different temperature ranges.

Ended up being mostly fixed just running the gun closer to the object being primed. About 6 inches seemed to work better. Not sure that I'm good enough to shoot a top coat, but I'm happy with the primer coat.

reducer

Use more reducer. Keep the temp as cool as possible, spray out of the sun.
To warm and it dries to fast before it flows out. Reducer is also rated for temp and sold in different temp grades. Spray thin coats so it does not run.

Back