What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble with Garmin Aviation Database Manager

AlpineYoda

Well Known Member
Patron
I am having trouble with the Garmin aviation database manager. It simply will not load - I click on it in the start menu, and I can see it running in the Windows task manager for a few minutes, then it disappears and never actually starts. I'm running Windows 10.

I have rebooted the computer several times.

I have uninstalled the database manager, downloaded the installer, and reinstalled it. Same problem as before.

I have also tried to use the old system on flygarmin.com, but the Garmin connect add-in that the website says I need is no longer available on the Garmin website, despite the link telling me to install it on Garmin's website.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Any suggestions? I called the Garmin 800 number, but after listening to the hold music for 30 minutes, I gave up. I have also emailed G3expert, will post a solution if I get one.

Run

I am having trouble with the Garmin aviation database manager. It simply will not load - I click on it in the start menu, and I can see it running in the Windows task manager for a few minutes, then it disappears and never actually starts. I'm running Windows 10.

I have rebooted the computer several times.

I have uninstalled the database manager, downloaded the installer, and reinstalled it. Same problem as before.

I have also tried to use the old system on flygarmin.com, but the Garmin connect add-in that the website says I need is no longer available on the Garmin website, despite the link telling me to install it on Garmin's website.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Any suggestions? I called the Garmin 800 number, but after listening to the hold music for 30 minutes, I gave up. I have also emailed G3expert, will post a solution if I get one.

When you reinstalled it, did you run the file as an administrator? I have had that happen before...

Install MS C++ redistributable files.

I found a thread on how to download and install them and since then the GADM program has run perfectly.

The files are named, VC_redist.x64 and VC_redist.x86

If I remember correctly I first found a thread here on VAF about it.

Sure made a difference for me.

Here's the post that sent me in the right direction. It's post 19 on this thread.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=208677&highlight=GADM

"I just experienced the same issue on my Dell laptop, so I was looking at this thread. I called Garmin support (Saturday afternoon), and amazingly the guy had the answer immediately. He said to open an internet browser and Google search for Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015, then download the appropriate .exe file for my system. Mine is a 64 bit laptop, so I downloaded the x86 version. I ran the vc_redist.x86.exe and suddenly the Garmin Aviation Database Manager works! Hopefully this helps someone else too."

Last edited:
Thanks for the "run as admin" suggestion. Just tried that. Same result. It showed up in the task manager for a few minutes using 30% of the CPU and about 1000 MB of RAM, then disappeared. Never actually loaded as a usable application.

Back