What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble converting to impulse mag

GWZ

Well Known Member
Qs on converting to Impulse mag

Hi all, I have a 6A with a Lyc O-320 D1A that has a LASER ignition. It looks like my controller has died so I'm converting to one impulse mag and the Electroair EI on the Rt side. Neither Slick/LASAR mag has an impulse coupler so I need a different drive gear and a spacer for the new mag. I think I've figured out the drive gear P/N 61665? Mr. Google is letting me down on the spacer though. Does anyone know what spacer I need? Also suggestions on where to buy also appreciated ;)
thanks, Gunther

RE: Qs on impulse mag conversion

Thanks!, I just ordered one from ECI $43. Ordered the 61665 gear from ebay new in box for $120. I still need the longer studs and gaskets.
Gunther

Hi all, I'm in the process of removing my LASAR system and installing a slick impulse mag on the left side. I've got an o-320 D1A. I bought a Slick 4373 mag a new gear, a spacer from ECI and longer studs from ACS (P/N M2639). Installed the studs and spacer (with gaskets) and when I installed the mag the studs are a good 1/4" short. I can catch a couple of threads but that's it. So I realize now I need to make sure the spacer puts the gear in the correct spot. If we assume for now the spacer is correct, did I get the wrong studs? I screwed them in as far as they would go (to the unthreaded part of the stud). Should I take them out re-locktite leaving them 1/4" out farther. They won't be very tight so I'd be relying on the loctite to keep them from turning when installing the mag. One other thing the new studs are 5/16 28 on the mag side and the old short studs were 5/16 18 on both ends. Is this a change Lyc made or another indication I have the wrong studs?
Thanks for any help
Gunther

I'm unable to find information @ ACS but the Lycoming part number for the longer studs is 31C-19, Stud, 5/16-18 x 2-3/8 long.

This P/N is from the "A & E Series" but I'm pretty sure that the "D" uses the same studs.

studs

If the studs are not going in fairly tight you should probably use oversize stud diameter on the front end. I don't have an accy case in front of me. Are the holes in the accy case not thru holes which would mean you screwed the studs in too far??? Lots of different spacers. Remove the spacer, hold the mag engaged with the gear and measure the distance between the mag and accy case. Make sure the spacer is appropriate length. If none of this works go to the Lycoming yahoo forum and ask Mahlon.

thanks all, I'm starting to think the spacer may be too thick...I'll check that out tonight after work. The stud holes in the acc case are through holes and the installed stud is flush with the inside of the acc case. Thanks Mel for the P/N, I'll pull one out tonight and measure total length. New studs would be the cheapest fix for sure. I didn't even know there was a Lycoming group! I'll check that out, Thanks!

Lycoming Parts Catalog

Suggest you consult the parts catalog and confirm the correct part before proceeding. Here is a link to download yours: http://pj260.com/Lycoming/Parts%20Catalogs/PC-203-2.pdf

If you want a different one, you can see them all by removing everything after Catalogs/. For some reason the index is unprotected on this site and they are ALL there, and then some.

Good luck.

Scott

Back