What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trolling for a ride.

Kobwo

Hello All,

I'm in the USAF and stationed in Winnipeg Canada. I recently purchased tools and the preview plans for a -7. I was hoping to go to OSH this year and sit in a -7 in person to make sure it fits and that it's the A/C that I want to build. It looks as though I will not be able to make it this year and would like to see one in person or perhaps go for a ride. If anyone has one and wouldn't mind letting me take a look and buying some "go juice" and a lunch I would really appreciate it. I will come to a destination of your choice, hopefully in North Dakota, Minnesota or around Canada. It's the last prereq I have before I order the tail kit.

Thanks in advance

Shawn "Kobwo" Franklin

RE: Faith!!!!

Kobwo said:
Hello All,

I'm in the USAF and stationed in Winnipeg Canada. I recently purchased tools and the preview plans for a -7. I was hoping to go to OSH this year and sit in a -7 in person to make sure it fits and that it's the A/C that I want to build. It looks as though I will not be able to make it this year and would like to see one in person or perhaps go for a ride. If anyone has one and wouldn't mind letting me take a look and buying some "go juice" and a lunch I would really appreciate it. I will come to a destination of your choice, hopefully in North Dakota, Minnesota or around Canada. It's the last prereq I have before I order the tail kit.

Thanks in advance

Shawn "Kobwo" Franklin

Shawn

A couple of years ago I was in your shoes. Tried to find someone local (300 mile radius) to give me a ride in a 6 0r 7 but no takers. They must of heard about my luck...."if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all" :eek: So I bought the preview plans......got excited after Viewing Terri Jantiz's video on his ride with his daughter to the far north of Canada in his 6.
That did it :D Bought the emp and the rest is history. Began 9/4/2004 and have enjoyed every minute of it...even proseal..... :rolleyes: Took my first ride in the demo. RV7A at the facory with Bruce a year ago this past June. My faith was grouded or should I say flying in reality. Now with that all said I just know there is some good RV'er that will give you a ride. But realize it will be a very COSTLY $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ride indeed!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank @ SGU RV7A Pane/Wiring/Engine on the way looking for a compressor that will hold up to painting my plane

Another unatisfactory (?) suggestion

Seems a lot of us have been in this boat... There is an Air Force base within driving distance of Van's - McChord - a cheap place to stay and get into - ( a beautiful base to boot!) then drive down to Van's for the day, go through the factory and get a demo ride. Buy some little bits or pieces to just say you were there and are now committed. Order your tail kit. You will love it. You will never regret it. :D

If you can get a hop this gets even cheaper. Look at what you are preparing to spend, $500 for a great weekend is worth it and you will be glad you did it. P.S. If you can deal with one more day or a fuller day - go to McMinnville (Spruce Goose) while you are out there too... the Boeing factory is a great place to head too.

USAF "Retired"

I'm stationed down at Tyndall. If you can make it down from the great white north, I'd be glad to take you for a flight or 3. I'd go up there, but no way I can get away this summer. Find a TDY to the SE and we'll go flying.

Moon

Thanks Moon

I might be able to find my way down there. If I can I'd really appreciate it. Also, thanks to the above for encouragement and I believe that I won't look back but I gotta "kick a tire" before I buy. I thank my daddy for that! :D

Shawn

OT: navigating around Tyndall

N98HK said:
I'm stationed down at Tyndall. If you can make it down from the great white north, I'd be glad to take you for a flight or 3. I'd go up there, but no way I can get away this summer. Find a TDY to the SE and we'll go flying.

Moon
I just moved to FL. The other day I was flight planning from KORL to KDTS. Holy smokes there's a lot of military space around Destin. What is the best way to get into DTS from central FL?

I bought my RV-10 emp. before I had seen an RV! I hadn't even taken a flying lesson but now I have my PPL and the -10 is almost done! I don't think you can go wrong with an RV, even the ugly duckling -12!

Ha. I'm in the same boat. Started building the 7a before I had a single hour of logged time.

Now I'm well on my way (~24hrs & counting) to the PPL and almost done with the empennage... and still waiting for that first RV ride.

Oh well. Maybe in a few years when I need transition training. :rolleyes:

Rides

Shawn and GTechRV,

Come on down to KFFC (Peachtree City, GA). Plenty of rides available. Just give us a little notice.

Mark

Thanks for the reply! If I can get down to the Florida/GA I will defiantely look you guys up. Shout out to anyone a little more North. I'd really appreciate it! Even if it's not a ride I would like to just "try it on" for size.

Thanks

Kobwo

Back