What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trip to Boulder, CO

dougweil

Well Known Member
Hey follow RVators,

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Boulder, CO area on Monday. Thought about going into the Boulder airport but with the high temps next week I like those long runways at Rocky Mountain. Any preferences on Sheltair vs. Signature? Will be hangaring for the stay.

I don’t know about Sheltair, but you need a lot of money for Signature. I go to Longmont, much friendlier to GA.

If you're flying an RV, any of the regional airports, including Boulder, are more than ample. Still, check density altitude, because it's often 8,000', perhaps more, in the heat.

Dave

I don’t know about Sheltair, but you need a lot of money for Signature. I go to Longmont, much friendlier to GA.
I’ll look into it. Been into various Signature‘s and you're right most are pricey. Except for Santa Fe and they were cheapest on the airport and excellent service. But that was 7 years ago!

I’ll look into it. Been into various Signature‘s and you're right most are pricey. Except for Santa Fe and they were cheapest on the airport and excellent service. But that was 7 years ago!
I know a spot at KBJC that you can rent in a nice hangar for a few days. An RV7 will fit.

I'll PM his name and number.

Wonderful airport for GA. Use Sheltair. Go Rentals in that FBO ask for a “crew car” rate. The other FBO (whole line) we regard as “The Evil Empire”. Lots of GA there, very nice tower folks, busy sometimes but patient and kind. Try to familiarize yourself to the sectional for the area. For these higher altitude airports out west, plan to be in the ground by about 10AM. Save the headache of DA and the front range winds/turbulence to the Big Iron. Nice restaurant, can use FBO crew car (or ask for a ride)
if not renting to go to Blue Sky Bistro. For fun, compare IAS on short final to TAS and post back!

Last edited:
KBJC - Old timer's name "Jeffco" new name "Rocky Mountain Metro"
Agreed! 🎶It will always be Jeffco to meeeeeeee!🎵 If you are staying overnight, consider staying at the Hilltop Inn, that you can nearly walk to from the FBO. A 'must stop' that is somewhat connected to the inn is Burn's Pub that is a step back into Ireland! 🇮🇪Amazing place to kick back and have your favorite Irish fare (mine is the Shepheard's Pie) and sip on your choice of 500 (!) different whiskeys with a well-informed bar crew that will introduce you to some spirits you might not have known existed before. Great place to also enjoy a Half-and-Half, if you know what that is (don't call it a Black and Tan there!). If you see me there, I'll be in me Kilt!😊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Back