What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trio GX Pro vs TruTrak GX Pilot with Garmin G3X

rjtjrt

Well Known Member
I recently became aware Trio has an autopilot specifically for use with G3X - ie the Trio GX PRO, "with all of the features of the standard Pro Pilot autopilot with the additional capability of bi-directional communications with the Garmin G3X EFIS system".
Of course TruTrak have the GX Pilot "designed to interface with
Garmin G3X", and Garmin seem to endorse this unit.
Anyone use the Trio GX Pro.
Any Pro's or Cons comparing the Trio to the Trutrak?
I must say I am a little attracted to the clutchless servo's of the Trio, even though all seem to say the drag of TruTrack clutch servo isn't noticeable.
The Trio GX Pro seems to have had very little publicity.
John

Last edited:
I think you have it backwards in regards to the clutches...

The Trutrak has a stepper motor and no clutch.

The Trio has a clutch.

Yes I realised after I posted but thought I would leave my mistake unedited.
Trio say they have a fully integrated autopilot with G3X that can be controlled by the G3X, much like the Trutrak.
Thev Trio seems to be largely ignored on this forum up till now. Not sure why.
John

Trio has lots of history here. Maybe not with the G3X but since it is so new, that may be why....

I tried to find someone who had installed the Trio, but to no avail. The hardware looks great and has a much better display than the Trutrak, the Trio also has clutches rather than a stepper motor. When I spoke with the Garmin engineer about it he said that the Trio integration was done using only the serial bus, which does not provide for the same level of integration with the G3X as the TruTrak. Garmin assisted in the development of the GXPro Tru Trak for the Cessna Skycatcher. Due to the lack of feedback and the $2K discount Garmin was offering on the GXpro, I went with it.

When I spoke with the Garmin engineer about it he said that the Trio integration was done using only the serial bus, which does not provide for the same level of integration with the G3X as the TruTrak. Garmin assisted in the development of the GXPro Tru Trak for the Cessna Skycatcher.

Hi Bill,

The Trio GX PRO is new and perhaps the person you spoke with at Garmin was not yet aware of the differences between the programming in the Trio Pro Pilot (supported with NMEA Out) and the Trio GX PRO (supported as a G3X integrated autopilot).

An RS-232 port on the G3X display, when configured for an "Integrated Autopilot", communicates bi-directionally with the autopilot and provides all the information necessary for full integration. All of the lateral and vertical autopilot modes controlled through the G3X PFD (described in the pilot's guide) are available when using the GX PRO with a serial interface.

Much of the same information is available on the ARINC 429 bus, but it is not necessary for the G3X to fully integrate with this autopilot.

I would encourage you to contact Trio if you want to discuss use of the GX PRO with the G3X.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. As you can see, several folks have asked about your product. Maybe a u-tube video of the G3X in action with the Trio....
Thanks
Bill

Trio will highlight the GX Pro in the December issue of Sport Aviation. The price has been reduced to $2,995. Additionally, the Pro Pilot has also been reduced in price. The web page has been updated to reflect the changes.

Back