What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trimming W-707 and DWG 38

mackd

I'm currently trimming the W-707D and W-707G stiffeners for my rear spar. DWG 10A has a reduced sized drawing of the stiffeners and the area to trim; it refers to DWG 38 for the dimensions. DWG 38 didn't come with my wing plans (I think), so I just used the small DWG 38 in my preview plans to get the dimensions. This isn't a big problem, but it seems like it would be nice to be able to compare my parts with the full scale drawing on DWG 38.

I guess this is a common issue, but it seems silly to put the detailed diagram of this trim operation on a drawing that isn't shipped with the wing kit.

Or am I just missing DWG 38 with my plans?

David

David,
DWG38 didn't come with the plans in my wing kit either. I used the small diagram that came with the manual as well. The cut is simple enough, so matching it up or tracing it doesn't seem that important. You also could leave it uncut and trim it up later on when you get the fuse drawings - from what I have read, this is how Van's originally had it done. I guess their distribution of drawings hasn't caught up with the narative manual.

Way back when, I extrapolated the dimensions from the preview drawing by figuring out the scale factor of the drawing.

Flash forward to now when I'm mounting the wings. I'm having a very small interference problem between a round head rivet on the fuselage and the top corner of the rear spar. I just need to round that corner a bit more. Otherwise the amount I trimmed seems perfect. You definitely don't want to trim too much. If you don't have enough material, you won't have proper edge distance for the rear spar bolt.

I also have some interference between the fuselage spar doubler fork and wing rib flange, but that's a different issue.

David,

I think most guys are saying it is easier to do it on the band saw NOW than fooling with it when it riveted to the wing.
I am taking the preview plans and getting it as close as I can now and then maybe take the dremel to it at final fitting.

Good luck,

Thanks for the input.

I measured as carefully as I could and was slightly conservative on how much I took off. Moving on... :)

Back