What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trimming VS-702

Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
Im just about to re-assemble the VS for riveting and reading ahead into the empenage installation procedure one of the first steps is to trim 5/8 off the lower end of vs-802. Is there any reason this cant be done prior to reassembly while i can still get the piece to the band saw?

VS trim

I don't see why not. I mounted my VS a couple of weeks ago and wished that trim had been part of the VS instructions (I didn't think to read ahead...)

Ditto...I didn't realize that there was an exact dimension called out later in the plans. Would have been much easier just to chop the stupid thing off right out of the box.

Same question

Simon,

I just posed that same question to an RV-7 builder in my EAA chapter, but he was not quite that far along yet. I too didn't see any reason it could not be cut before hand, but I wanted to confirm.

Dalton

Van's said go ahead and cut it

For future inquiries on this subject, Van's confirmed it is OK to cut VS-702 per DWG 27A before you rivet the VS together.

For those intending to trim this early, keep in mind that there may be slight variations when you go to attach the VS, which may mean if you trim the full 5/8" off during the emp construction you may not meet edge distance requirement on some of the F-781 attachment holes later on. Also, there is a risk that you may forget or if the kit changes hands and the other person not realize, the VS may be subsequently trimmed twice. See the link below for further details. One for me to add to the Gottchas spreadsheet I guess.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=57976
Tom.

Back