What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TRIMMING FLANGES ON RV-12

KRAUSEGB

Well Known Member
WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD TO TRIM THE FLANGES ON THE NOSE RIBS OF AN RV-12.
SNIPS SEEM TO BUTCHER THE EDGES PRETTY BAD.

Trimming Nose Ribs

I just did this last weekend. I used a band saw. Was quick and easy - I drew a line first and then cut just to the edge of the line and then cleaned up the saw cut edges with a file.

Scott

SNIPS SEEM TO BUTCHER THE EDGES PRETTY BAD.

When using snips, do you cut "all the way" I mean that close the snips fully then open them and move forward for next snip. And there comes nasty wrinkle where the tip of the snip was?

snips

I HAVE A SET OF LEFT, RIGHT, STRAIGHT SNIPS.
I HAVE BEEN USING THE STRAIGHT SNIPS TO MAKE THE CUTS BUT FINED IT DIFFICULT TO GET INTO THE AREA BECAUSE OF THE FLANGE WHICH I AM TRYING TO REMOVE.
THE SNIPS LEAVE A SERRATED EDGE AS WELL AS DEFORMING THE EDGE.
WILL TRY THE SAW METHOD.

I used my bandsaw to trim the flanges. Be sure to use a blade compatible with metal, i.e. , 1/4 wide at least 14 TPI. I then smoothed the edges with my ocillating drum sander and then followed up with a couple of quick swipes on the 6" scotchbrite wheel. Makes a nice smooth edge. Steve

I HAVE A SET OF LEFT, RIGHT, STRAIGHT SNIPS.
I HAVE BEEN USING THE STRAIGHT SNIPS TO MAKE THE CUTS BUT FINED IT DIFFICULT TO GET INTO THE AREA BECAUSE OF THE FLANGE WHICH I AM TRYING TO REMOVE.
THE SNIPS LEAVE A SERRATED EDGE AS WELL AS DEFORMING THE EDGE.
WILL TRY THE SAW METHOD.

Do not use the straight snips ( a set of straight snips is not even on the recommended tools list). Use left or right "offset style snips.
They will also cut straight, and because of there design will give you improved access.
If you have the left and right "offset style" snips that are recommended, you can use one or the other to make cuts in situations like this (trimming flanges) where a portion of the part is in the way for you to make the cut.

Does your left and right snips look like these
http://www.averytools.com/pc-969-46-midwest-offset-aviation-snips.aspx

If not, then you should get different ones.
If you do not have the offset snips, all cuts you make will distort the material much more and it will be difficult to impossible to make the cuts in some situations.

Back