What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim wiring

wirejock

Well Known Member
Is there a way to determine which white wire on a Ray Allen trim motor is M1 vs M2? Is M1 12V+ or is that M2?

Me thinks the answer is connect, fire up the system and see which way the motor moves. If backards, swap the two white wires on the connector nearest the trim motor. Guess I have a 50% chance of getting it right. Same for my Flap motor.
Just wondering if there's an easier way to do it while wiring the airplane.

Yeah, I think both Vertical Power and Dynon says you gotta hook them up and figure it out before finalizing the install.

9 volt battery will work

Larry, for a trim motor a 9 volt battery is enough to identify which wire is positive and negative.

9V battery

Larry, for a trim motor a 9 volt battery is enough to identify which wire is positive and negative.

Yea. I've done that, but which is positive? M1 or M2?

Yeah, I think both Vertical Power and Dynon says you gotta hook them up and figure it out before finalizing the install.

Better part of valor for sure
Seems easier to just hook it all up and if it runs backards, swap the pins.

Last edited:
d.a.r. told me that trim wired backwards is the most common potentially dangerous thing he finds in his airworthiness inspection

d.a.r. told me that trim wired backwards is the most common potentially dangerous thing he finds in his airworthiness inspection

I will add to the fact that approximately 50% of all Airworthiness Inspections that I do, I find either the trim tab, the trim indicator, or both reversed.

The thing to remember is.....The TAB flies the control surface, not the airplane!

i.e. Tab goes up; Elevator/Aileron goes down.

Better mouse trap

Yes, then why ask the question to begin with……..

Because folks here are always three steps ahead of me. I thought someone may have invented a better mouse trap.
Of course, if it's a waste of space, Moderators feel free to delete.

I will add to the fact that approximately 50% of all Airworthiness Inspections that I do, I find either the trim tab, the trim indicator, or both reversed.

The thing to remember is.....The TAB flies the control surface, not the airplane!

i.e. Tab goes up; Elevator/Aileron goes down.

Thanks Mel. That part I think I understand but as always your opinion is most welcome.
I hadn't considered the Dynon display. I expect that will be part of the set up, but definately will check.

Last edited:
Back