What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Tab trailing edge question...

jcmcdowell

Well Known Member
How tight should I try to get the trim tab bent?? I don't want to pinch the metal and cause a potential failure point. The 7's tab doesn't come to a fine trailing edge like the 9's.

Will there be issues with the difference in trailing edge thickness in flight performance?

Thanks

Tabs

Jerry,

Here is how mine turned out...
060423g.jpg

And here...
060423h.jpg

and here...
060423.jpg

That's pretty much what mine looks like. I've been holding off riveting the tab to the stab until I got some feedback on that- time to hammer away...

Jerry,

I was concerned about the same issues when building my trim tab for the 9. After one unsatisfactory attempt I trashed Vans skin and built my own with double flush rivet trailing edge just like the elevator. It looks much better than the bent skin unit and the edge thickness matches the other control surfaces. I made end ribs vs the bent over and pop riveted assembly and glassed them in for a smooth cap. I don't have any pics now but will try to remember to take some when I get to the hangar.

Cheers,

db
RV9a/ECI0360/Catto Prop/James Cowl---75 hrs and a big smile!!

Jerry,

I found a pic of the ele trim tab. To do this I ordered extra AEX wedge from Vans and made it out of 020 vs 016. It was double flush riveted just like the other control surfaces on the 9. It contains alum ribs and the ends are capped with glass for a smooth/clean finish.

Cheers,

db
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Back