What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Tab Pressed at Rib area

While I was feeling real good about the outcome of my trim tab, I realized that when I placed the tab in the "V" block to allow the sealant to cure; I pressed it a little too much and once removed from the "V" block the skin looks buckled where the ribs are. If was to measure the depresion I would say it is about 1/32" to 1/16" max.

Looking at other RV's, you can see this type of deformity on the wings and sometimes the fuse. Maybe it is inherent to all alluminum aircraft.

Do you experts believe this is something that would mandate another tab?

Or merely a cosmetic issue.

Thanks.:D

Alex Aponte
CWO2
US Navy
Jacksonville, Fl

I would use it and press on. So long as it's functional, you could always go back after it's flying and redo any parts you aren't completely happy with.

Having just done mine, I fiddled with some wood mock up ribs and I had an almost impossible time getting it to a point where I didn't have some sort of depression or bulge. I did determine that it really mattered most in getting the trailing edge bent as good as you could get it.

In the end I'm pretty happy with mine, but I agree with Andy, it's an easy part to replace if you really feel you have to. It is going to be hard to get a completely smooth surface with a metal airplane. Temperature is going to cause the metal to shrink and swell. My HS had no oil canning in it when I did it in the winter. I took it down the other day now in the summer and I can find a bit of it. That's just life.

I also think at a 1/32" once you paint the plane you'll probably never really notice it. It's easy to notice when you have a really shiny reflective surface.

Thanks for the reply

I agree. the beauty of this forum is that tomorrow another newbee, like me, will make the same mistake and realize that it is cosmetic thing.

Thanks a lot

As far as I'm concerned, I'll be a newbie until I build my second plane. Then I'll upgrade myself to idiot since I'll probably make the same mistakes, just in a new and more creative way. :D

Back