What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim set for take-off

onn2nn3

I'm New Here
:) Is there a trim setting in degrees for take-off with elevator level for my RV-9A?

Thanks,

Michael Lewis
N409G
IO-360

trim set @ take-off

Is there a trim setting in degrees for take-off with elevator level for my RV-9A?

Thanks,

Michael Lewis

N409G
IO-360

Probably a preference matter ...

In the one I have flown, I have used "neutral" when doing initial testing. If I have flown it before, it is left at whatever it took for about 150kts level cruise.

I do think that you want to be careful about having to much "nose up" trim ... especially if it is electric. That trim tab is EFFECTIVE!

James

I have been using the neutral indication on my electric pitch trim. That seems to work best. The trim on the 9s is very responsive.

Neutral, but....

I use neutral trim which I set visually. One the other hand, if I forget and leave it trimmed as it was for landing its manageable as long as I fly airspeed.

Trim

I fly an RV-6 but think the principal should be the same.
I set trim to one turn "down" for takeoff.
The thought being you either pull back some to lift off, or it really
is ready to fly when it does.
Seems neutral setting might have some not quite ready feelings.
But others have said it can be a personal preference.

For normal (no flap) take-offs on my -6, I use 1/2 turn down. This gives about 1/4" up on the tab.
For short field, I use neutral trim and 13 degrees of flap.

I think the issue is that the RV9 horizontal and elevators are HUGE as compared to the other RVs. Miniscule trim movements have a big effect. For me, unless the trim is neutral, the stick forces are substantial when trying to maintain the desired rate of climb or airspeed on takeoff.
I have stick mounted trim switches and use them alot in the pattern. Climb, downwind, base, and final. It just makes for a nice, relaxed pattern when I don't have to fight the stick pressures.
Anticipating trim usage with different throttle settings is a must for the -9, otherwise you end up fighting the horizontal for control of the plane. I don't know about the other RVs, but I suspect it is less of an issue.

Back