What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim servo speed controllers

macrafic

Well Known Member
For those of you already flying, and with electric trim (aileron, elevator, both), have you found a need for a speed controller for the trim servos?

I have the MAC speed controller, but have never changed it from the factory setting. It is a bit sensitive in cruise and seems fast. All you do is tap the switch, but then when you want to trim for slow flight, landing, etc. it seems to take a while. So the factory setting is probably a good compromise.

Mind you this is a total preference kind of thing, but for me it was a waste of weight (very light and tiny unit though!), extra wiring and added complexity.

Your mileage may vary...

Rob

Hi,
First flew in April, now at 170 hours, and never felt the need to control the trim speed other than by duration of tapping or holding the hat switch. Sometimes a tap or two, sometimes a bit more. I have never found it "too sensitive". But it is a matter of personal taste, I suppose.
All that said, be **** sure you don't have your autopilot on and accidentally rest a map or approach plates on the top of the stick. The plane will fly level as the autopilot pitch trim compensates for the accidental electric trim runaway. But I assure you that when you disconnect the autopilot you will get a very abrupt 2 g maneuver up or down at speeds generally higher than maneuvering speed and it will startle the **** out of you at best, be truly dangerous at worst (eg, in the soup). Ask me how I know (although I was VFR flying off my hours at the time.)
Hope an additional thought is helpful.
Regards,
Len

No Adjustments for me either

I have the MAC speed controller, but have never changed it from the factory setting. It is a bit sensitive in cruise and seems fast. All you do is tap the switch, but then when you want to trim for slow flight, landing, etc. it seems to take a while. So the factory setting is probably a good compromise.

I have now been flying a year, also with about 170 hours. I agree with everything Rob said. I have never thought the need to adjust as sometimes it is a bit sensitive and other it seems slow. Another time it seems a bit slow is when you are ready for take-off and you realize the trim is still in the landing position. Waiting that extra 5 seconds is 5 seconds of not flying.

My elevator trim ran to fast to get a precise setting. Yes, installed a speed control and slowed it down.

Best,

Back