What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim control feedback

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I'm considering mounting my two axis top hat trim control on the panel rather than in a top hat on the stick/grip.

Does anybody care to give any feedback on what they have, stick/grip, panel, console, whatever? Thanks in advance,

Rick 90432 working fuse/wiring and engine part purchasing.

I've been using the two different types of Ray Allen grips, which either have the four buttons on top, or the four way hat switch. I REALLY LIKE the setup, and much prefer them on the stick. That way, I can trim with the right hand on the throttle, if required. However, the co-pilot/passenger side has trim buttons and gauges on the panel---- instead of the stick.
Relays are used in this setup.

L.Adamson

Hello Rick

I have the 4 buttons on the top of the stick and no controls on the panel (don't need a relay that way).
I works great as the amount and direction of the trim change is based on how the stick feels. If I let anyone fly from the right seat, I either trim for them or let them reach across to my stick.

99.9 % of the time I am flying the plane, so not panel trim or brakes on the right side.

Kent

I had a -9a with the trim on the panel. I found it very hard to use because it was not intuitive to my mind. Do you push the top of the sewitch to rotate the plane forward, or do you press the top of the switch to bring the nose up. Perhaps its just me. If I did not have it on the stick I would want it on a horizontal surface.

When I built my -4, as you can see here, I put the trim on the stick. I really like the teak grip, it never feels sticky. The other button you see is the AP disconnect, and around the front is the PTT.

For me electric aileron trim is a nonsense, but each to his own.

For me electric aileron trim is a nonsense, but each to his own.

My 6A has the older style aileron trim, with the (electric) servo in the aileron that moves a six inch hinge tab. I think it's wonderful, and use it all the time.
In my mind, I want perfect trim...........and that includes no stick pressures to offset passenger or fuel loads. But on the other handhand, the shorter 6A wing is a bit more sensitive than a 9's, I suppose. I am not a fan of "spring bias" trim, and probably never will be! :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back