What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Cable Routing through HS

N941WR

Legacy Member
How do you install the trim cable through the HS?

Does it go through the first hole after passing through the fwd spar? If so, how do you get it to bend enough to go through that hole? Should it be installed prior to bolting the HS in place?

Thanks for the help!

Bill

I routed my trim cable up through the left hand hole in the aft deck (the large triangular part), then through the middle hole in the left inboard HS rib, then out through the hole in the HS rear spar. I added an adel clamp to hold the cable to the outboard side on the large hole in the aft deck. Except for some gentle bends inside the HS, its almost a straight shot from cabin to clevis. Tip: My RV-6 buddy cut a 3/8" wide slot instead of a round hole in the front floor cover plate where the cable makes the approx 140 degree bend. It looks better and allows for some fore-aft oops work because the hole location is not dimensioned on the prints.
You'll need three hands when installing the left elevator to fish the trim cable through and twist the elevator horn into the tailcone without bending any metal.

Steve

Manual trim for RV-9

Bill,

I ran my cable to the trim exactly the same as Mike Hoover. It worked great in the intial test fitting of the empenage assembly.

Mike Ice
installing landing gear

How?

Mike & Mike,

How did you get the cable to make the turn?

I did you feed it all the way through the fwd HS spar, then through the lightening hole, and finally through the aft HS spar? Did you have to take the "pin" off the end of the cable?

I can't seem to make that turn.

Thanks!

I have put a p clip just underneath the front end of the large lightning hole it routes through to keep the cable running straight away from the elevator push rod. Another thing I found today and asked Vans about is the front end of the elevator push rod going into the bellcrank. The crank should have a 1/2 gap to allow the eye end into it - it doesn't and it's going to require a little bending to make it from what it is at the moment 7/16 to 1/2. Easier to do on the bench before you have it all assembled!

Thanks!

Problem solved.

It ran just as it was supposed to. The trick was to loop a piece of copper house wire through the 2nd hole and around cable. This allowed me to pull it into place so it could be pushed through the hole.

All is good and both elevators are now installed.

Back