What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Cable Hole on HS-702, Left Side

MikeJ 7A

So I see the hole depicted in DWG3, View A-A.

Question #1: When does this hole get drilled? (Either they don't mention it in Chapter 6 or I'm going blind, probably the later.)
Question #2: Is this hole needed, or can it be drilled smaller, if you install an electric trim system?

Thanks!
MikeJ

Last edited:
I would drill it before you rivet anything onto the front spar. I am not sure it is necessary for electric trim, perhaps to run the wires, but I bet it is not necessary. I put it in mine reguardless incase I ever want to go to a manual trim. Use a uni bit and its a 30 second job. Dont forget, the hole goes in the front spar, not the rear! That view can be confusing.

I agree, this drawing view is wrong with the way that the view arrows are pointing...I pointed this out to Vans and I was told it was correct...Once you get to know how they are looking at this (wrong) just live with it I guess...
Yes, if I remember correctly...this hole is only on the drawing...not in the step instructions....I'm doing manual trim and i did it before I primed or riveted anything.
Hope this helps,
Jim
7A Rudder

If I remember correctly the view is if you are looking at the plane from the front (as if you were standing upright) and the way the view arrows show it you should technically be looking at it up from the front upside down.
I'm at work so I cannot double check that....

You can do it later as well, no problem. You just won't be able to use a unibit. I switched from electric to manual trim so I didn't do it when I first assembled the HS. You don't need the hole at all if you go electric. Good luck.

Back