What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Access Cover

BrentHumphreys

Well Known Member
I am running into some confusion on the trim access cover for the Elevators on the RV-10.

I am not sure what size hole and dimple die to use for the #6 screws that are used to hold the cover plate on.

1. What size drill should be used for the bolts?
  2. 2. Which dimple die?
    • I have a #6 dimple die, that seems to deep
    • Vans mentioned using a 1/8" die but that is too shallow
    • I have a 5/32" dimple die that seems about right.
  3. When I dimple the K1100-06 nut plate the dimple die contacts the dimple for the screw and slightly distorts the nut plate. Is that a problem?
3102902811_f124f9f244.jpg

Thanks for any advice

I am running into some confusion on the trim access cover for the Elevators on the RV-10.

I am not sure what size hole and dimple die to use for the #6 screws that are used to hold the cover plate on.

1. What size drill should be used for the bolts?
  2. 2. Which dimple die?
    • I have a #6 dimple die, that seems to deep
    • Vans mentioned using a 1/8" die but that is too shallow
    • I have a 5/32" dimple die that seems about right.
  3. When I dimple the K1100-06 nut plate the dimple die contacts the dimple for the screw and slightly distorts the nut plate. Is that a problem?
Thanks for any advice

Cleaveland Part# DIE5096

Made for #6 countersunk screw heads.

To make the nutplates work you can put shims between the skin and the nutplate. Countersink the shim as necessary. Vans also stocks a countersunk version of the 6-32 nutplate I believe its k1100-06, if I am wrong someone will straighten me out.

If you need the shims they are NAS463WD(size), we have #10's in stock.

Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a #6 die, but it seems to deep.

I am using the K1100-06 nutplates, but the instructions say to dimple the holes for the rivets.

The holes in the cover plate are large enough for the screws, but not for my #6 die, so I am curious what size they should be?

Last edited by a moderator:
#28 drill bit is the proper size for a #6 screw. You're right that the plans don't call that out. It simply says to dimple the cover for the screw and leaves it at that.

The nut plate will sit off the skin when you dimple the skin for the rivets. You use a #3 die for the rivets and the #6 for the screw holes. I did not dimple the nutplate.

Last edited:
I'll have to disagree.

If you don't dimple the rivet lugs on the K1100 nutplate then the entire nutplate will sit 'proud' over the dimpled skin. I ALWAYS dimple the nutplate lugs, gives the nutplate a nice snug (flush) fit over the dimpled skin.

The nut plate will sit off the skin when you dimple the skin for the rivets. You use a #3 die for the rivets and the #6 for the screw holes. You do not dimple the nutplate.

Agree with Rick. I ground down the side of one of my #40 dies so it would clear the barrel of the nutplate and dimpled the lug without problem. My nutplates riveted on nice and flush. If you don't want to do that, I seem to recall that somewhere in Chapter 5 Van's says you can use a different rivet that has a smaller manufactured head requiring a minimal dimple. For me it was just easier to grind the die down.

Well I stand corrected. Mine sit proud! What does it do to the nutplate?

Did you buy different trim cable holders? The ones Vans supplies are terrible!

Other than putting the dimple on the lug, it doesn't affect the shape of the nutplate. I must admit that before I dimpled the first one, I was concerned the the lug was going to bent or deformed due to the overall lack of material around the hole, but it turned out to be a non-issue.

As for the brackets, I stuck with the chinsey, but newer ones from Van's that have the welds on both sides of the nut. Yep agree 100% the Rivethead ones look waaaayyyy better. I tossed the original ones with the single welds that originally came with the kit into my scrap bin.

And if your lucky like me, you have small diameter dimple dies that save you from grinding the standard dies..something wrong about taking a grinder to a $30 die set. And yes as others have said, you dimple the nutplate lug. Before you trash out the cover plate, consider the billet parts from Iflyrv10 ...you will be glad you did...honest...best spent $38 bucks for these parts. Don't go with Rivethead parts...I have them but others have had to wait months and months...with no response...I was lucky because I bought several years back...not to slam Rivethead, the parts I have from them are top notch but so are Steve's He has really taken the bull by the horns at Iflyrv10...Rivethead has fallen by the wayside in too many ways..

http://www.iflyrv10.com/iflyrv10/Elevator_bracket.html

Last edited:
Other than putting the dimple on the lug, it doesn't affect the shape of the nutplate. I must admit that before I dimpled the first one, I was concerned the the lug was going to bent or deformed due to the overall lack of material around the hole, but it turned out to be a non-issue.

As for the brackets, I stuck with the chinsey, but newer ones from Van's that have the welds on both sides of the nut. Yep agree 100% the Rivethead ones look waaaayyyy better. I tossed the original ones with the single welds that originally came with the kit into my scrap bin.

Todd do yourself a favor and go buy them now! You don't want to do it later like most of us have. I ignored everybody's advise too early on and I had to change it after I painted!

#28 drill bit is the proper size for a #6 screw. You're right that the plans don't call that out. It simply says to dimple the cover for the screw and leaves it at that.

I found that #27 was the correct size, but my #6 die does not fit in the hole?

Did you buy different trim cable holders? The ones Vans supplies are terrible!

I discovered the CNC holders after I trashed one cover, so I ordered two covers, and a set of the CNC Holders.

Rivethead shipped them a week after I ordered with a paypal issue in between.

And if your lucky like me, you have small diameter dimple dies that save you from grinding the standard dies..something wrong about taking a grinder to a $30 die set. And yes as others have said, you dimple the nutplate lug. Before you trash out the cover plate, consider the billet parts from Iflyrv10 ...you will be glad you did...honest...best spent $38 bucks for these parts. Don't go with Rivethead parts...I have them but others have had to wait months and months...with no response...I was lucky because I bought several years back...not to slam Rivethead, the parts I have from them are top notch but so are Steve's He has really taken the bull by the horns at Iflyrv10...Rivethead has fallen by the wayside in too many ways..

http://www.iflyrv10.com/iflyrv10/Elevator_bracket.html

I may have to find a smaller set of dies.

I am still not sure what size to drill the screw holes, and what dimple to use on them.

Brent,
I verified that #28 was the right size for a #6, but a #27 will work as it is slightly larger. If your #6 dimple die won't fit in your #27 hole then I question whether the die is actually a #6. I had ordered a #6 once upon a time but what I got was a 3/32 so mistakes happen. Sounds like what you might have is #8. Try drilling a #19 hole in some scrap and see if your die fits well in that. If it does, then you have a #8 die.

Brent,
I verified that #28 was the right size for a #6, but a #27 will work as it is slightly larger. If your #6 dimple die won't fit in your #27 hole then I question whether the die is actually a #6. I had ordered a #6 once upon a time but what I got was a 3/32 so mistakes happen. Sounds like what you might have is #8. Try drilling a #19 hole in some scrap and see if your die fits well in that. If it does, then you have a #8 die.

I'll bet that's right. The #8 marking could have rubbed off a bit too, so it looks like a #6 marking.

Just to close the loop on this.

When I bought my tools, I bought them off a forum user that posted them for sale. They were from planetools.com, and for the most part everything was unused.

The dimple dies came in the kit had labels for each position, and I pretty much took them at their word.

20-PC%20SQUEEZER%20SET.JPG

I was starting to go insane, thinking I didn't understand what was going on. The holes in the trim access cover are drilled to #27 (0.144"). I called and talked to Bob avery and he shared some of the dimensions on his dies. He shared with me that the pilot on the #6 die should me .135" flaring out to .285"

Armed with this information, I set about measuring my dies to see which one would match, or come close to matching, these dimensions. Not one of them was anywhere close. In fact, only 2 would even fit inside the #27 whole. The 3/32", and 1/8" dies.

So, good news.... I am not insane. Bad news... I don't have the correct dies for a #6 screw. I had already placed an order with Avery for a couple other items, so I went ahead and purchased a set of the springback dies from Avery.

I really like the plane tools set, which I liked mainly for the DRDT2, but most of my tool purchases since have been with Avery. They do a great job, and are incredibly friendly.

Now, I need to get some specs from Planetools.com and see if I can understand what I actually have.

My dimple dies have the size stamped into them, although a bit hard to see, check with a magnifying glass??

Back