What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TRIG transponder any good ?

I have a new Trig TT21. Only have a couple of flights so far. Installation and all testing so far is very impressive. Reports from ATC shows great and TIS traffic on Garmin 495 is fantastic.
972-784-7544 if you want to talk.

Last edited:
I had one in my Pelican. It worked just wonderfully, easy to operate and never had any complaints from ATC...

Is there anyone with experience flying the Trig in busy ATC environments and frequent squawk changes that can comment on the unit?s ?button-ology? for ease of use from a workload perspective? From looking at photos of the unit on their website it looks like there is a single knob that the user rotates to input/change codes, and I?m wondering how the usability of this method compares to the efficient keypad arrangement on the Garmin transponders. Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

Is there anyone with experience flying the Trig in busy ATC environments and frequent squawk changes that can comment on the unit?s ?button-ology? for ease of use from a workload perspective? From looking at photos of the unit on their website it looks like there is a single knob that the user rotates to input/change codes, and I?m wondering how the usability of this method compares to the efficient keypad arrangement on the Garmin transponders. Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

Usability of the knob for code entry is a good question. I flew with a Terra TRT250D for 10 years which had knob entry of transponder code just like the Trig. I always hated it. Very high workload compared to the GTX327 I am using now, especially in turbulence.

I used an Appolo SL70 for a number of years before swithching to a 330, never really liked the inner/outer knob set up for code entry but cetainly not a show stopper. I do prefer the garmin design though.

Configure Help

Can someone with a TT21 or similar please let me know what the Voltage Reading in the Configure pages should be?

I have a TT21 with a "Low transmit power" warning on the screen when it is on. If you go to the Configure pages at some stage there is a "Local Supply Voltage = 6.3V" message.

So my problem is that I do not know if it means some internal supply that should be 6.3V, or does it actually tell me the the supply to it is low.

Can someone with a TT21 or similar please let me know what the Voltage Reading in the Configure pages should be?

I have a TT21 with a "Low transmit power" warning on the screen when it is on. If you go to the Configure pages at some stage there is a "Local Supply Voltage = 6.3V" message.

So my problem is that I do not know if it means some internal supply that should be 6.3V, or does it actually tell me the the supply to it is low.

The nominal voltage should be 6.5V, anything above 6v is fine according to the manual. This is the voltage to the head unit.

If you press the "ENT" button, the warning should go away. If the message returns, you have a problem with the transmitter and probably need to have it checked by your Trig dealer.

edit: I'm assuming that the battery voltage is adequate (>12.6V).

Last edited:
Been flying mine in and around DFW traffic for 2 years now with absolutely no problems.

Just a thought, you may want to verify antenna cable and connections, transmitter output power is dependant upon a good antenna/cable system.

Problem found

Thanks guys !
I think I have found the problem. The person who fitted it, soldered the small inner pin of the RF connector. The solder was so thick on it, that it did not want to click in properly and the pin never made contact, as it was sitting too deep in.

See picture below. The good news is that the warning does not come on anymore and I will test it properly with the next flight.
FP10112012A0000W.jpg

Back