What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trig TN70 Certified GPS

N890GF

Does anyone know if the Trig TN70 allows primary IFR navigation? I can't seem to find anything online about it other than it is a "certified WAAS GPS receiver". Does that make it capable of (legally) allowing IFR flight as the primary GPS source? The website talks about ADSB Out compliance, but not approved IFR flight.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this GPS.

Two Questions:
  • Can i get away with this instead of a Garmin GPS 175 (for example)?
  • Would this GPS source provide IFR capabilities to a Dynon EFIS?

Two Questions:

Here’s two additional questions that might guide you to the answer.

Does the Trig TN70 allow for the 28 day update cycle? If so, Where do you get your subscription?

Does anyone know if the Trig TN70 allows primary IFR navigation? I can't seem to find anything online about it other than it is a "certified WAAS GPS receiver". Does that make it capable of (legally) allowing IFR flight as the primary GPS source? The website talks about ADSB Out compliance, but not approved IFR flight.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this GPS.

Two Questions:
The short answer is no. This is not a TSO GPS Navigator so you cannot use it for IFR, other than what it was designed to do.

This is a WAAS GPS receiver to feed a transponder for ADS-B position out data. It does not have the navigational elements of a certified GPS navigator. This is no different from the Dynon GPS 2020 WAAS receiver/antenna that provides ADS-b position information to the Dynon (TRIG) XPDR. Just more expensive than the GPS-2020.

If you want to fly IFR and do GPS approaches you are stuck with the Garmin GPS-175 and the least bad of all the bad certified options. The GPS-175 will feed the SkyView just fine - displaying approaches and all that stuff.

Carl

The short answer is no. This is not a TSO GPS Navigator so you cannot use it for IFR, other than what it was designed to do.

This is a WAAS GPS receiver to feed a transponder for ADS-B position out data. It does not have the navigational elements of a certified GPS navigator. This is no different from the Dynon GPS 2020 WAAS receiver/antenna that provides ADS-b position information to the Dynon (TRIG) XPDR. Just more expensive than the GPS-2020.

If you want to fly IFR and do GPS approaches you are stuck with the Garmin GPS-175 and the least bad of all the bad certified options. The GPS-175 will feed the SkyView just fine - displaying approaches and all that stuff.

Carl

Thanks for the response. This was my gut feeling as well, but I figured it couldnt hurt to ask and get more info.

Back