What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transporting a kit

TX_Flyer

Need some advice on transporting a wing kit with longerons. The biggest uhaul trailer is 12X6 which corner to corner is just a shade over 14ft. From what I gather the longerons are about 15ft long, how flexible are they, can I bow them a bit to get them to fit?

Thanks for any advice!

Closed trailer, it had a roll up door so I don’t want to leave it open. I can strap the to the roof rails on my sic as well. I have a big one so there shouldn’t be much overhang.

Take a roll of strapping tape and tape them together near each end and a couple places in between. If you are super concerned, then grab a piece of appropriate pvc pipe, slide them in it and tape or cap the ends before putting them in a rack.

If you're going to leave some extending beyond the roll up door, place something else beneath the door to keep it from unrolling and smashing your stuff if the universe has a sick sense of humor today.

Having moved several kits, I always wrap them with the plastic static wrap for moving furniture
It’s fast and keeps parts from bouncing around especially if you have two wings in a cradle
Good luck

Fortunately it is completely unbuilt (wing and empennage) so plenty of room for the parts. The trailer will have the box of skins, a build table and the spars. Was hoping I could squeeze in the longerons, but I will cross that bridge when I get there and leave myself options. I drive a large SUV so ribs and smaller pieces will fit in there for the ride. It will be about a 12 hour drive so I really don’t want anything outside the roll up door!

Thank you for all of the suggestions so far.

Back