What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponder

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
Anyone used the Trig TT31 Mode S Transponder? Currently researching Mode S and ADSB in out transponders. Any comments on transponders and their features would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Pete,

Not the TT31 but I will soon be installing the similar TT22 as part of an upgrade to IFR on my already flying 9A.

Everything I have heard about the Trig transponders is positive and if it gets position data from an appropriate GPS such as the Garmin GNS 430W, GTN 650 or the GTN 750 it will comply the requirements for ABS-B out in Australia. See Air Services ABS-B FAQ. Page 12.

Be careful about transponders such as the Garmin GTX23ES which is part of the popular G3X system. The transponder meets the requirements for ABS-D out but it gets it's altitude data from the encoder in the G3X. The G3X is not TSO compliant so the internal encoder would also not be TSO compliant and presumably would not comply with the requirements for ABS-D out in Australia.

Fin
9A
Guyra NSW

Last edited:
Back