What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TRANSPONDER TO ENCODER WIRES!!!!

almarsh

Well Known Member
I have ack 350 encoder with wireing harness with plug on end to go into encoder , raw wires other end , these need to solder into my pins for my garmin 320a have manual for both but my brain is getting a little warpped here , temporaily garmin when i call them tell me that all i have to do is match all the colored wires to same spots for the color wire on transponder ok easy enough, now when you make these connections garmins transponder has different options for wire to go where if your hooking up dual , do this if 12vor 28 do this then it says remote do this i dont know what remote is. anyway if i can get some expirenced advice here i might be flying this 15 yr old bird this summer.

thanks anyone!!
allen
[email protected]

The ACK 350 install manual (downloadable from http://www.ameri-king.com/pdf/01 AK 350 Installation Manual.pdf) has a chart which tells you which pin (color) from the encoder harness goes to which pin number of the Garmin 320/327 transponder.

For example pin #2 (white wire) from the encoder goes to pin #3 of the Garmin 320, pin 3 (gray) of encoder goes to pin 5 of the Garmin, etc, etc...

Just follow that chart and it'll work as intended.

The remote I believe is for an external ident button should you wish to mount one on your stick. the link Neil posted has a good chart about 3 pages down showing your encoder to xpdr connections. Should steer you in the right direction.

thanks for maual link better than what i had , one other question is what does it mean is your transponder strobe equipt and show how to wire it for that or not for that , by docs dont tell me anything about this.

thanks \
allen

For anybody who's wondering... The term "strobe" on transponder wires has absolutely nothing at all to do with strobe lights ;)

"Strobe" in this sense, is a digital electronics term, associated with parallel data bus wiring. All the lines in a parallel data bus may or may not contain a valid binary value all at once at a particular instant in time... some of the individual lines can lag behind others due to timing anomalies in the circuit. The "strobe" line is a control line which is usually "active low" (e.g. active when at zero volts, or ground potential) and is "activated" by the transmitting circuit when all the parallel lines have had time to stabilize into a valid binary value across the entire bus. Whatever circuitry that might be "reading" the bus will know that there exists a stable, good value across the bus whenever the strobe line goes low, and that's the cue to read the value.

The "gray code" lines of an encoder/transponder are a type of parallel data bus which was designed way back in the olden days of digital electronics, and hence the presence of a strobe line. Modern digital electronic devices have a much better ability to read a parallel bus and make a determination when the data on the bus is stabilized and valid by themselves, and may not need the assistance of a strobe line, so the strobe line just gets grounded all the time.

Back