What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponder inspection woes...

ErichKeane

Well Known Member
We had someone in to inspect our transponder today so that we can fly in controlled airspace. He found two squawks which seem funny...

First, our static system apparently leaks like a sieve. We tested it as a part of the PAP, however could never get a good seal on the outside of the rivet with the clay and syringe, so we pulled it and were able to get a passable seal there. I would imagine that we've either damaged the system somewhere, or it leaks back there.

Any good way to seal between the hose and the rivet? The only thing I can think of is RTVing between the hose and rivet, I've already zip tied around them, but apparently they still leak. Is there a better way to test this other than a syringe method?

Secondly, apparently our Transponder and EFIS aren't talking. I imagine the wiring is set for that, since it was a premade harness (and not a long one). Was there some sort of software setup I needed to do?

Thanks for any advice/help that you can give!

Hi Erich,

one of the solutions to the static problem is to order a set of Razor Static Ports from:

Darrell Reiley
2313 Logan Drive
Round Rock, TX 78664-7703

or

Avery Tools Item 4677

STATIC AIR PORT FITTINGS Static ports are CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. Requires a .250? hole for flush mounting to aircraft skin. Flange can be bonded to inside of skin with pro-seal; or mounting holes can be drilled in flange. Static ports are tapped to accept 1/8? NPT fittings, and have a .070? diameter thru hole for the port.

Both of the above are much better than the Van's rivet.

Best regards,
Vern

So it looks like silicon it is... Hopefully that'll work. Anyone have ideas on the altitude encoding?

If you know anyone that works for PG&E or your local electric utility company, ask them for a small amount (6" is a lifetime supply)of AQUA-SEAL. Once you get this in your hand, you will understand.

Secondly, apparently our Transponder and EFIS aren't talking. I imagine the wiring is set for that, since it was a premade harness (and not a long one). Was there some sort of software setup I needed to do?

Thanks for any advice/help that you can give!

This is from Dynon SkyView System Installation Guide ‐ Revision G (page 4-9).

Note the bold statement. If you have the new software and haven't updated your wiring, this may be the problem.

The instructions above specify that both the TX and RX lines from external serial devices be connected to multiple screens in parallel. SkyView systems that were installed before the 2.6 version release may need some wiring changes to accommodate this. Specifically, if your system has multiple SkyView displays and your transponder is utilizing the serial altitude encoder output, the transponder would have only been connected to one screen when you configured your SkyView system. In 2.6 and all future firmware versions, one serial port from each screen needs to be connected and configured to provide serial altitude information to your transponder for this functionality to work correctly.

Don't know if this will help, but it looks like a "gotcha" for Dynon Skyview installations...

Good luck!

OK, I missed my guess when I "assumed" that you had a Skyview. So now I'm going to "assume" that you have a Garmin GTX 327 transponder.

Section 4.9 of the Dynon D180 installation manual shows how to set up the format to talk to the GTX 327 (or another transponder). The GTX 327 needs to recieve "Format 4" from the D180.

SERIAL ALTITUDE FORMATS
There are four formats used by serial transponders. Choose the correct format for your transponder in the ALTENC menu, using the FRMAT button.
Format 4
Used By
Garmin GTX330 (set on Icarus input), Garmin GTX327 (set on Icarus input), Garmin GTX328, Icarus, Trimble

Additionally, the GTX 327 needs to be set for the Icarus input. The GTX 327 installation manual section 3.3.5 (RS-232 Input/Output page) describes how to set up the GTX 327 to accept the Icarus format.

With the D180 putting out the Icarus format and the GTX 327 set up to recieve the Icarus format, you should get altitude data (Mode C) from the transponder.

Hope this helps...

Ah, thats what that means! I was a little confused looking through the D180 manual, and wasn't sure what was going on. Thanks!

update:
So, when the the painter had put something in the static ports to prevent them from getting filled with paint, he must have pushed one off! I still silicon'ed each and reattached with a zip tie.

HOWEVER, I couldn't find the menu in the Dynon listed above! I went through the instructions, and just don't have an ALTENC setting in the setup menu.

The transponder was set for Icarus both for input and output (is that correct?). The option didn't seem to be on the Dynon, I had ALTADJ, but no ALTENC.

Back