What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponder connector orientation from diagram question

William

Well Known Member
Hello all today I'm wiring up my King KT-78A transponder to the AK350 encoder. My question is I have the wiring diagram but I'm not 100% sure how to deciphur the orientation of the connector with regards to the rear of the transponder and rear of the encoder. From the attached diagram am I looking at the wire side or the metal connector side of the harness?

thanks
Bill

Looks to be the side the wires go into.

Get a magnifying glass, and look at the back of the connector, you should see the identifying numbers and letters for the pins.

Looks to be the side the wires go into.

Get a magnifying glass, and look at the back of the connector, you should see the identifying numbers and letters for the pins.

Hi Mike thanks for the instantaneous response time :). Unfortunately I don't have the factory connector, I'm having to purchase my own from digikey.

Bill

Strictly a guess here, but I strongly suspect the Digikey unit will be marked the same.

Give Stein a call if he doesnt jump in on this thread.

The Installation Manual

http://www.neboservice.ru/docs/0897493001195543990.pdf

says that the view you show is the "front side" of the connector, so it's the side the circuit board plugs into.

Look at the edge connector on the ciruit board, often pin 1 has some sort of identifying reference mark etched into the copper traces.

If not, the fact that pins 1 and A at one end of the connector are ground might help identify that orientation by the amount of copper on the circuit board.

Last edited:
The Installation Manual

http://www.neboservice.ru/docs/0897493001195543990.pdf

says that the view you show is the "front side" of the connector, so it's the side the circuit board plugs into.

Look at the edge connector on the ciruit board, often pin 1 has some sort of identifying reference mark etched into the copper traces.

If not, the fact that pins 1 and A at one end of the connector are ground might help identify that orientation by the amount of copper on the circuit board.

Hello Gil thanks for the response. I checked the circuit board and didn't see any indicators. The transponder I'm wiring is the KT-78a. The manual you posted was for the KT-78C. Are they wired the same way?

thanks,
Bill

ON the unit itself, "1" is on the upper left, and "A" is on the lower left (similar to the KT-76A/C). If you drop me an email offline I can send you the correct manual for the 78.

Cheers,
Stein

ON the unit itself, "1" is on the upper left, and "A" is on the lower left (similar to the KT-76A/C). If you drop me an email offline I can send you the correct manual for the 78.

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks Stein, email sent.

best regards,
Bill

Cheers,
Stein

That says the the connector view (the pic you posted) is looking at the front side of the connector as stated in the manual...:)

Thanks Gil for your help...I got her figured out. :)

...I wish all of the drawings used would be a lot more specific about the viewing direction, and whether it is the unit or the tray connector, when showing pin numbers...:)

Back