What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponder Configuration

gblwy

Well Known Member
Bad news, then good news!

My transponder exhibited the word FAIL in big letters immediately following my first ever landing in the RV12!

Having checked the obvious stuff, I contacted Vans and SteinAir. The Stein guys confirmed it was a definite internal failure in the transponder, and arranged for me to send it back to Garmin in the UK, rather than having to ship the unit back to the USA.

Garmin shipped me a new replacement unit that arrived within 48 hours.

There was just one configuration change I needed to make - required to get the unit to display flight level. Again the Stein guys provided the info required, by return mail, and repeated here in case anyone else needs to do it.

"You hold down the FUNC button while turning on the unit. This enters the configuration mode. Use the FUNC button to scroll to the RS232 page and then use the CRSR to highlight the cursor. Use the 8 and 9 to change settings. Set the unit (actually input, ouutput was already set) to ICARUS ALT."

Three landings later and the unit is still in business ;-)

Cheers...Keith

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing that info, Keith. Hopefully not many of us will have a transponder failure.
Joe

Are you sure the Garmin wasn't commenting on your landing skills? ;)

Just kidding! :D

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Back