What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition training

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
When I flew the prototype last August Van's indicated that there would be transition training in the RV-12 available at several locations around the country by this time. Obviously that hasn't happened-- insurance???
All my time other than 30 minutes in the prototype has been done with a yoke and steam gauges. I'd like to get 4-5 hours with a stick and Dynon before making the first flight of 143WM in a couple of months, but unless someone is courageous enough-- and has proper insurance-- to offer left seat time in a -12 I'm thinking of renting a SportStar that a local FBO has. Same engine and avionics and same flight regime as a -12, though I know it will handle differently. Does anyone have enough experience with both to offer yea/nay thoughts?

Thanks!

Wayne 120241/143WM

same here

I have 1 hour in a Zodiac 601XL . It had the Dynon, but the controls were not as harmonized as the 12. It was light in pitch, but heavy in roll.I'm not interested in flying it again. I was looking at the Sport Star as well. There is a sport pilot training center near me that has the Sport Star.

e-Mail Mike Seager. He will give transition training in Van's RV-12 in Vernonia, OR.

rvshirtsnmore.com
503-709-5975 (Cell)

When I flew the prototype last August Van's indicated that there would be transition training in the RV-12 available at several locations around the country by this time. Obviously that hasn't happened-- insurance???
All my time other than 30 minutes in the prototype has been done with a yoke and steam gauges. I'd like to get 4-5 hours with a stick and Dynon before making the first flight of 143WM in a couple of months, but unless someone is courageous enough-- and has proper insurance-- to offer left seat time in a -12 I'm thinking of renting a SportStar that a local FBO has. Same engine and avionics and same flight regime as a -12, though I know it will handle differently. Does anyone have enough experience with both to offer yea/nay thoughts?

Thanks!

Wayne 120241/143WM

I don't remember the glass cockpit being a big deal. The view is so spectacular that you don't even want to look inside. Even so, you pick up where things are located pretty quick. Best thing to get is light airplane time, even if its a Champ...anything where you can't power your way out of a problem because the Rotax won't do that. The controls are very, very light but that's not a problem, that's Van's DNA. The hardest thing to learn is how to land...it doesn't want to come down. You just have to learn to slow down sooner.

Tecnam Sierra

I too flew a SportStar a couple of years ago in preparation for the -12. It does OK and will provide valuable information, but it is a little slower and doesn't harmoniza as well. That FBO got rid of the SprtStar due to not great ground handling and now has a Tecnam Sierra.

I have an hour in it and will get a couple more as I prepare for first flight. The operating envelope of the Tecnam is much closer to the -12. It has the same speed envelope, uses most of the same reference speeds and has the same habit of not slowing down if you don't plan ahead. It also makes a fantastic glider.

While the SportStar will help out, I think if you can get yourhands on a Tecnam Sierra you will be better prepared.

My opinion only.

Just finished 4 and a half hours with Mike Seager in Van's RV12. I highly recommend him. I have the airworthness certificate on my RV12 and am ready to fly.

John Sheffels

Transition training with Mike Seager

I just did 5.9 hours of transition training in N412RV with Mike Seager. I would recommend it for anyone who does not have experience in a similar type aircraft. Mike uses Vans red RV-12 for the training. He starts off with 1 hour of ground school and then off to 12RV. Mike is based in Vernonia, Ore 45 miles from Portland. His airport is a 3000' grass strip with hills and big trees at both ends. After take off we headed over to KSPB which has a 5100' x 100' paved runway. For an hour we practiced stop and go landings, then headed back to Vernonia.
The 12 is a lot different than my old Warrior. It's not difficult per se, just different. In the Warrior there is no real P factor, where as the 12 needs right rudder when you hit the throttle. The stick was an easy transition. Controls were light, but not twitchy. Mike makes you work on every phase of the take off, approach and landing. My first couple of landings were more like arrivals.
In the afternoon we did slow flight, turns about a point, stalls, and lots more stop and goes. My the end of the 2 hours I was beat.
Next morning was another 2 hour block of various basic flying skills, and then more landings. The final 2 hours was emergency procedures, slips, and more landings. By the end both my take offs and landings were fairly decent. He signed off my BFR and insurance required 5 hour training. Total cost was $ 850. Well worth it.

I am now flying a Sportstar for my Sport Training. I was flying the Remos GX, Soloed in June (really liked that little plane). The next week another student tried a pirouette landing and collapsed the nose gear. Fortunately no-one hurt but the owner said no more Remos, apparently they had issues before. They have an Evektor which after a months hiatus due to travel I took up. I have no reference to the 12 other than sitting in it at Osh. the view is tremendously better in the Evektor, and it flew well (however, theirs has steam gauges so no help on the Dynon). I made two landings in it and after trying out every inch of runway to the left and right I was ready to call it a day. It is Very touchy on landing.

Good news I soloed in 10 hours, bad news I have to do it again.

Back