What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition training on SportCruiser?

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I recently took a flying lesson on a SportCruiser and was impressed by how my experience was close to what people say about the RV-12 flying behavior like:
- Light controls
- Little to no adverse yaw
- Great visibility up although not as good down as we sit on the wing spar rather than in front of it
- Glass cockpit
- Differential braking with toe brakes
- Amazingly easy to land: floats and lands by itself
- Little need for flaps on normal landings/take off
I hope I don't get zapped for promoting the Sportcruiser :eek: but I would like to know from people who trained or used this plane before transitioning to RV-12. If this is a valid trainer for RV-12 transition it would help me greatly because of availability and proximity.

I'm not familiar with the SportCruiser, but I flew a SportStar and a Tecnam Sierra in preparation for my first flight. I had flown a C-150 for the past 9 years and wanted something that would be closer to the -12. I found that the Tecnam was a very close approximation of the handling qualities of the -12. First flight went very smoothly and the airplane behaved as anticipated.

If the SportCruiser handles similar to either the SportStar or the Tecnam, and I'd be willing to bet it does, it should make a good training platform. That said though, your insurance company may have a different opinion.

I find this thread interesting and hope more respond.

I flew my Rotorway helicopter for four years and then sold it to purchase the
-12. No fixed wing time during this journey to the dark side:), but thoroughly enjoyed it.

My tentative plan is to take advantage of a Cessna Skycatcher at the nearby flight school to get up to speed and ready for the -12 transition training offered by several pilots mentioned on this site.

So not to hijack but hope there are some -12 drivers out there familiar with the aircraft mentioned here.

Thanks

Tom
Fuselage and avionics ordered

Sport Cruiser would be OK.

I think the sport cruiser would be fine to get some time in for a warm up to flying the RV12. The Skycatcher, less, because it doesn't have a rotax engine in it and it would be a little nose heavy compared to the RV12 Although it might not be bad just for some fun flying. As stated earlier in this thread you should check with who ever you are considering as your insurer. Some insurance companies require 5 hours of experimental airplane time as a prerequisite. Any experimental airplane time will work I believe. :)

Back