What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training in SoCal?

chrisi456

My RV-8 is nearing completion, I'll have 25 hours of taildragger time but need transition training in a RV taildragger. I live in San Diego, any ideas?

Chris

Not SoCal, sorry.

I did transition training with Mike Seagar in Oregon. Flew the RV7 TD twice per day, three days in a row. Got just over ten hours along with a TD endorsement.

I've never had instruction from someone like Mike. He is a remarkable instructor. The most patient I've seen. He's a very trusting soul. Rarely did he touch the controls. He is a really good communicator.

Got my RV8 three months later and felt prepared. Flew it home to California from Arizona.

I'm a low time newbie. Got my ticket May 2014.

Good Luck. Congradulations on your 8. They're amazing airplanes.

Charlie

KSEE transition trainer

Reuven ("roo-VANE") Silverman is a good trainer; after transition with him, my first flight was a non-event.

He's based at KSEE, and while his LODA is for his RV7A, he's pretty resourceful; suggest you give him a shout ([email protected]).

congrats!

Thanks, I was hoping to get tail dragger training, I thought it would be more useful and seems to be required for insurance.

I just went through the same search for a cfi in san diego to get some transition into my RV4. Good thing you have an 8 because nobody can do it in a 4. I ended up biting the bullet and just flying the thing, and it is easier to fly than any taildragger I have flown prior. Anyway, aside from the names mentioned, I know another guy at kmyf with an rv7 who would probably do it. If you are interested then give me your email and I will give it to him because I don't want to post peoples personal information.

As far as Frank B mentioned above, I luv that dude. I have flown a ton with him. He taught me taildragger, he taught me spins and aerobatics, he was my rv4 ferry pilot. He is a professional pilot and I have the highest confidence in him. BUT...hurry up, he might not be in SD that much longer.

edit...I was reading this as if you wanted to do the transition in your RV8. Reuven is the only guy that will fly you in his airplane, and like you, I chose not to because it is a nose dragger. Frank B no longer has an RV. The other guy at MYF was reluctant to train me in his plane, but said he was happy to fly in mine, but CG was an issue. I did find a guy is san luis Obispo that has a 7 he will fly you in.

Last edited:
Back