What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training in an Experimental

guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: This post is for the guys doing transition training in RVs. What hoops did you jump thru to get a Letter of Deviation/Special Authorization from your FSDO to do commercial operations (getting paid to provide transition training) in an experimental. Please PM me if you are willing to share your insights, I'm stuck. Thanks, Dan.

Temporarily on Hold?

Dan:
It's my understanding that the FAA has currently placed issuance of LODAs on hold. My prior conversation with Detroit FSDO lead me to understand that I needed to:
1. Submit formal application for LODA
2. Submit a syllabus of planned training program
3. Subject my maintenance records to FAA scrutiny.
4. Institute a 100 hour inspection cycle.
I did not bother to get a formal quote from my insurance carrier, but I would expect the premium to increase substantially.
The above is all meaningless until/unless the FAA decides how to handle the authorization and administration of transition training in experimentals. Everyone involved seems to understand the benefit of such training - keep your fingers crossed for a workable solution.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

As Terry said....

there are several of us stuck in the bureaucracy right now. Dave Maib in Florida and Vic Syracuse near Atlanta and I, all want to do RV-10 transition training and LODA's are for now, apparently on hold.

We've spoken with Joe Norris of EAA and just got really frustrated.

Best,

Guys: Thanks for the info, not what I had wanted to hear but.... I checked with my insurance broker and the transition training, dual only price increase was $1000 more than I am now paying. Do any of you know why the LODAs are now on hold? I wonder what set off the alarm bells in OKC? I fully expected to have to develop a maintenance schedule, transition training outline and comply with commercial airframe requirements. I'll follow developments and if anyone hears of new info, please post. Dan

As Pierre said........

Guys: Thanks for the info, not what I had wanted to hear but.... I checked with my insurance broker and the transition training, dual only price increase was $1000 more than I am now paying. Do any of you know why the LODAs are now on hold? I wonder what set off the alarm bells in OKC? I fully expected to have to develop a maintenance schedule, transition training outline and comply with commercial airframe requirements. I'll follow developments and if anyone hears of new info, please post. Dan

I went through all of those steps last year, only to be told by the local FSDO that, even though my application packet was A-OK, they could not issue the LODA because the guidance memo they had was out of date. EAA government affairs rep told me that it had gotten messed up somehow with the rewrite of LSA regs. He told me that he was sure it would be fixed "very soon". That was almost a year ago. The FAA Administrator talked about the importance of transition training at AirVenture this year, but nothing has happened so far.

LODA Issued

The Orlando FSDO issued me the LODA to provide RV-10 transition training, effective today.
I re-submitted the packet from last January, with a few modifications, immediately after the new guidelines were issued in September (?). It took about two months to work its way through the FAA labyrinth, but the inspector that handled it was great to work with.
He even noted that today was the "birthday" of N380DM. 11/22/2008 was when I got the airworthiness certificate.:)

Last edited:
Congratulations Dave....

...He's now one of two transition trainers in -10's that I can think of....and on the East coast too!

I hope to be right behind you, although the extra insurance cost doesn't please me.

Best,

I know this thread is US-centric, but i'm curious how things compare... In Canada, one can *receive* training from an instructor (right from ab-initio, if you like) in an amateur-built aircraft that one builds. Is that not true in the US as well? If so, could transition training be done in the owner/builder's aircraft, with the instructor (presumably previously qualified on type) as PIC?

Rob,
You can get instruction from a paid instructor in your own airplane only if it is in phase II. Most people are looking for transition training so they can be insured to complete their phase I "test flying".

Dave

Please email or PM the contents of the package you submitted to the FSDO. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,

Bill
RV-7 N151WP
Lees Summit, MO

Back