What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition to RV-12

woodsideraff

Well Known Member
Just received my engine! A few more months and I'll be climbing in and taking to the air for the first time. It would be nice to have some time in a 12 before this historic event. I did take a demo flight last year at Sun'n'fun, but that hardly qualifies.

Does anyone know where I can get some time in a 12 near South Carolina? I would fly my 8A to get the training.

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

Columbia (KCUB) ?????

Just received my engine! A few more months and I'll be climbing in and taking to the air for the first time. It would be nice to have some time in a 12 before this historic event. I did take a demo flight last year at Sun'n'fun, but that hardly qualifies.

Does anyone know where I can get some time in a 12 near South Carolina? I would fly my 8A to get the training.

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

Rafael,

We recently had a "first flight" of an RV-12 at KCUB.

See: http://www.eaa242.com/blog/

I am **NOT** offering up Rick or his plane BUT, I suspect that if you give him a shout, he would be willing to give a ride or two around the patch to a fellow RV-12 builder.

He recently finished the test phase and is getting more familiar with it.

James
jclarkmail (at) gmail.com

Me too.

Hi Rafael,

I'd like a few patterns in a -12 as well. Maybe we can coordinate our trips and make it well worth Rick's time.

Gimme a buzz.

transition training

Isn't the Blue RV-12 on the east coast just for transition training??
It's Van's airplane and for demo flights and transition training...........?:cool:

Get transition training

Get the transition training. There is a big difference between a hop or two around the pattern with a fellow builder and true transition training. I did 5+hours with Mike Seeger. Her really put me and the factory 12 through the wringer. He not only helped me learn about the 12, but corrected some bad habits I had developed over the years.When I took N815W up for her maiden flight, I was very comfortable. Unless you are already flying a plane similiar to an RV-12, the training may also be required by your insurance company.

An added bonus was that it counted as my BFR.

If the -12 transition training was not available to me I'm sure I would I would be safe and adequate on my first flights. But, it is availabe so I will do the training. I always learn something when getting some dual and I would feel really stupid if I didn't do the training then damaged it. Even if I did the training but still damaged it I would fell stupid but maybe less so.

When I was actively instructing I found, with few exceptions, that those who were most adamant about not needing dual were the ones that needed it most. Take the training. It certainly won't hurt but it will give you the advantage of knowing how the plane should handle/feel/ sound etc.

It's Van's airplane and for demo flights and transition training...........?:cool:

The Van's RV12 at St. Mary's, Md. is not used for transition training. Although I was able to go another route for my training, I have heard nothing but good things about Mike Seeger. From all accounts, he is a talented, possibly gifted instructor.

Just answering his question ...

He asked for some time in a 12.
He plans to fly his RV8A to get it.
This is NOT proposed as a transition training effort.

For example, I could see myself saying ...
I would like to get some time in an 8.
I would fly my 6 there to get a few times around the patch.

At a minimum it is motivational for an RV8A flyer who will soon be flying his next RV (although a slower and probably more docile one.)

I was just passing on that there is someone in his backyard that he probably did not know about as Rick has been quiet in his building effort.

James

Back