What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trailing edge sealant

smt6

Well Known Member
I know the topic has been brought up a lot, but I haven't found an answer to my specific question in the search.

Are there any sealants that yall have used from HD or Lowes? Looking to finish the elevators up tomorrow and really do not want to have to order sealant online and wait for the shipping.

Thanks!

Sean

You could consider G/Flex Epoxy by West Systems.
Often used to repair rivets in aluminium boats, not as bulky as Pro Seal

I know the topic has been brought up a lot, but I haven't found an answer to my specific question in the search.

Are there any sealants that yall have used from HD or Lowes? Looking to finish the elevators up tomorrow and really do not want to have to order sealant online and wait for the shipping.

Thanks!

Sean

Yes -- I used a marine adhesive (loctite something or other IIRC) I got from Lowes on my rudder. You could use just about anything that will hold the skins to the AEX wedge, because you're really not trying to seal the edge per se but using sealant/expoxy/glue as a substitute for a cleco to hold everything together while you're riveting. I think Van's only suggests Proseal because A. it works and B. from their perspective you are going to need it for other parts of the kit so might as well use something that can be used to complete multiple tasks.

Last edited:
Van's says you don't really need a sealant on the trailing edge. You can rivet them dry, if you like.

Back