What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tow Bars for RV-7A

Paradis

I'm New Here
Hello...

I'm sure that I am not unique in the need to push our RV-7A backwards and finding the free castering nose wheel pivoting uncontrollably. Have you a usable concept for a tow bar that can also be used to control the free castering nose wheel in reverse.

Thanks,
Tom Paradis
N418TX - RV-7A

Hello...

I'm sure that I am not unique in the need to push our RV-7A backwards and finding the free castering nose wheel pivoting uncontrollably. Have you a usable concept for a tow bar that can also be used to control the free castering nose wheel in reverse.

Thanks,
Tom Paradis
N418TX - RV-7A

No your not the first. Grab the search function and type in tow bar. You will see lots of discussions on it.
Come on back if you dont find what your looking for.

Pushing on a tow bar..read this cautionary tale.

After one of my less than stella performances on one of my early training flights in IMC I taxi me and my frustrated CFII back to the hangar.

It was January and the place is covered in ice. he is in my hangar trying to write something positive in my log book (cackhanded would have been accurate)..I'm outside pushing the airplane back inside.

Now I was also suffering a severe attack of gout and I'm pushing on the towbar.

naturally my feet slip out from under me and because i was pushing on the towbar i went straight down..put my left hand out to break my fall..Which promptly broke the ball in my shoulder joint.

Because on the gout I couldn't get up either..so I'm literally lying on the ice flapping about like an upended turtle.

CFII walks around wondering what all the commotion was and started asking if my day was likely to be getting better anytime soon..:)

needless to say I now always push on the prop blade at the root and simply steer with the towbar. That way you have something to hang onto if you slip.

I must sound like I'm 80 years old at this point..:)

Frank

Tow Bar

Tom,
I have an extra tow bar, although I just read you are near 3000 miles away in Alexandria. I used to live near you in Woodbridge. Maybe some one closer can offer.

Tow bar:
Only for steering, not pushing, on an, "A" model.

Last edited:
Back