What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tough Brake Pressure Plate Bolts

sblair

Trying to once again remove the bolts that attach the Matco caliper pressure/mounting plate to the axel. There are two bolts that are very difficult for me to install/remove. I’ve done it before, but it’s a real PITA! The bolt head is very tight to the axel….cannot use a socket. Maybe if I grind one very thin???

There are a couple of brass toned, knurled caliper rod fittings that are in the way on the other side. See pic. If those are removable, issue resolved. Anyone know if these are threaded or press fit?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8971.jpg
    IMG_8971.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 164
The knurled brass units are threaded, but installed with red locktite. I believe they are installed and then the bores are machined parallel (and honed to size??) so the caliper can move easily.

Do not try to remove them, you will damage them, and possibly mess the alignment for the caliper guide pins.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike….good to know! Now, to figure out better ways to turn those two bolts. Ugh!

Have you tried using a open ended/box wrench combo? Come down from the top over the bolt head with the open end and stick a screwdriver or similar in the box end for leverage to turn. This has got me out of a few situations.

Wedge a flat blade screwdriver (or chisel) between the bolt head and the axle weldment to keep it from turning when you loosen/tighten the nut.

As Mike mentioned, you do not want to mess with the knurled bosses.

A1D9AB12-D16B-4805-80BF-F98A22F75532.jpg

If you can fit a tapered socket in there….this is what Harbor Freight socket sets are for! If you have a lathe (or friend with a lathe)….or a bench Grindr and some patience, you can make the tool you’ll need for as long as you own the airplane.

Paul

I ground down a cheap socket on a wheel then scotchbrite wheel. You can get the walls pretty thin before they break. Was not a problem after that.

By the way, why are you removing it? If I recall correctly, I haven't removed those bolts it since it was installed.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I was able grind an open end wrench and a deep socket last night. Between the two….success! Changed from 5” to 6” wheels and brakes to use Sky Design’s Wheel Pants. I appreciate the support!

Attachments

• IMG_8984.jpg
    IMG_8984.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8985.jpg
    IMG_8985.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 59
Back