What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Touchup paint

jtrollin

Well Known Member
I had to remove a light from my wingtip an the painting had fiberglass and paint over the edge so to remove it I had to cut back the fiberglass and paint a bit. I am trying to figure out now how to touch up the area to hide the repair work I need to do. The paint that was used was PPG Desothane Black Metallic (CA8000IM807). i have googled everything I could think of to find some easy method of touch up paint, but all I can find is quarts of the paint where I would need a paint gun to apply it.

Anyone have a source for touchup paint?

thanks,

John

Metallic is a different animal than no metallic. You may need to settle for color, but less metallic flake. Take your paint code to a dealer who sells your brand. Ask if they could makeup a “rattle can” of your paint. It will have a internal canister of the catalyst needed, button on bottom of can punctures it. Shake vigorously and use. If clearcoat needed, they can make you a can of it too. Good luck

I had to remove a light from my wingtip an the painting had fiberglass and paint over the edge so to remove it I had to cut back the fiberglass and paint a bit. I am trying to figure out now how to touch up the area to hide the repair work I need to do. The paint that was used was PPG Desothane Black Metallic (CA8000IM807). i have googled everything I could think of to find some easy method of touch up paint, but all I can find is quarts of the paint where I would need a paint gun to apply it.

Anyone have a source for touchup paint?

thanks,

John
For some very small touch-up (a few chips in the wing leading edge, some screw heads, etc.) I just went to the local auto shop place with an access panel, and had them match the color with their gadget. I got a pint of some sort of PPG touch-up paint (acrylic?). Cheap. Dabbed it on with a q-tip. I was amazed how well it worked, and it's held up quite well so far.

Many auto paint shops will match the color and put it in a spray can for touch up work or small panels $30-35. Works great.

Doug Rohrer
RV-9A flying
Rv-14A building

Back