What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Total Time to build a 12

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
So I understand the fuse and finish kits are either just getting out or havent gotten out yet so no-one knows how long they will take exactly but what are your estimates according to how long the wings have taken you? I ask this because I have a year and a half of school at Embry Riddle left before I head off and commission with the Army and a friend and I are wanting to build an RV. I take it the 12 would take the shortest so this is the one we have chosen. It would most likely be split 50 50 during the build and then I would either sell my share to someone or to the other partner so I am trying to figure out weather or not we would be able to finish in time. Besides school and flying I have a good amount of spare time that would be put all towards building and we are both mechanically inclined. So what would your estimates be on start to finish time? Could we do it in a year and a half?, and would it be worth the time/money too?

david

Vans estimates 600-900 hours. It is not likely that anybody else is better equipped to give a time estimate than vans.

What would that equate too in months? I understand I could do the math and figure out the amount of days with working 2 hours a day and so forth but what is it taking you guys in months to do 6-900 hours of construction?
david

What would that equate too in months? I understand I could do the math and figure out the amount of days with working 2 hours a day and so forth but what is it taking you guys in months to do 6-900 hours of construction?
david

David,
Some people have built other RV models in 6 months or less, and other people have taken 14 years to build the same model. It all depends on how much time a person has to invest each week, and whether the money is always available so that they are never stalled waiting on the next kit.

Use 800 hours as a rough estimate. Do an honest assessment of how much time per week you think you can really do productive work on the project, and then factor it in to your share (400 hours)

Back