What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torrance trip info

brian2915

I'm planning a trip to Torrance/in April for some training at Robinson Helicopter. I'd like to fly my RV down with a friend who's also attending the course.
Any suggestions on best option for an FBO/tie-down?
More importantly, anyone who flies in and out of Zamperini have suggestions on routes to navigate this crazy airspace? I'll be coming from the North.
Thanks.

Brian

Use the city tie-downs in front of the terminal building. Maybe Robinson will provide parking space for you; they cover a lot of TOA's territory. You can call a fuel truck or pull up to the pumps mid-field. I rent cars from the Enterprise outlet embedded in the Ford dealer a very short walk from the terminal.

From the north, the Class B is easy to navigate. Use the Special Flight Rules "tube" over the middle of LAX that comes off the SMO VOR (I think it's the 132 radial). Immediately south of LAX, ring TOA and land. Easy. The nasty trick is the 200' "mail slot" beneath the Class B (<5,000) and above the BUR Class C (>4,800) if you're flying down the CA's central valley and approaching LA by following I-5 from the Gorman area. Pay attention there and all else is sight-seeing.

John Siebold
Now in Boise
Was LA for 40 years

From the north, the Class B is easy to navigate. Use the Special Flight Rules "tube" over the middle of LAX that comes off the SMO VOR (I think it's the 132 radial). Immediately south of LAX, ring TOA and land. Easy. The nasty trick is the 200' "mail slot" beneath the Class B (<5,000) and above the BUR Class C (>4,800) if you're flying down the CA's central valley and approaching LA by following I-5 from the Gorman area. Pay attention there and all else is sight-seeing.

I saw, and rode with, friends shooting that 200 ft gap over the Sepulveda Pass.

However the few times I travelled that way I found it was easy to contact the Burbank Class C folks and just ask for a descent though the edge of their area.

I would think with only 200 ft to aim for, and given the allowable error of altimeter vs Mode C reporting, that the risk of violating the LAX Class B area
is not worth it.

For those not familiar with the "gap" -

http://skyvector.com/?ll=34.14270847370977,-118.40786877483141&chart=114&zoom=2

Last edited:
Buy the paper LAX TAC chart. They have an insert with all of the different ways through lax airspace that is not on most digital mapping systems. I would recommend using "the mini route".

Buy the paper LAX TAC chart. They have an insert with all of the different ways through lax airspace that is not on most digital mapping systems. I would recommend using "the mini route".

I agree on the paper chart, which is a regulatory requirement (http://books.google.com/books?id=NZ...&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=sfar51-1&f=false) for the so-called VFR corridor over LAX.

If you zoom out on the SkyVector link I gave the Mini Route is shown...

http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.99626793251328,-119.62323141370903&chart=114&zoom=2

Last edited:
The special route instructions are actually scanned in on the Skyvector charts (just scroll the map to the left 'et voila!'.

The SFRA drops you out of Class B at 3500' just south of LAX with no clearance required. The mini-route is 2500' both directions and requires clearance from Los Angeles tower and transit of SMO class D. Transient parking at TOA is near the base of the tower with green paint markings. If Tommy is on the radio, he's an RV builder so you're in good hands.

The paper chart is also useful for the recommended VFR routes on the back.

SoCal Approach (Burbank) would REALLY LIKE you to call them for a transition through their airspace so you can descend at your leisure to the 3500' needed for the southbound SFRA over LAX. I used to fly around the Class C veil to the west to keep from having to call them, until one day I got a "call this number" from TOA tower... it was SoCal begging me to call them next time I'm in their area as I apparently caused some airliner to have to abort their approach into BUR.

Route to TOA

Brian,

I've been based at TOA and flying out of both TOA and SMO for the past 15 years. I pretty much have the same advice as everyone else, but figured I?ll thrown in my 2 cents with a picture to try and help out. I'm not sure if the picture is showing in the post or not, if a link is showing it should take you to the picture.

I think the easiest way to transition the LAX Class B is to use the LAX Special Flight Rules (SFR) Corridor shown on the LAX TAC. You don?t have to receive a clearance from LAX tower like you do for the mini route and the landmarks are much easier to spot if you?re not familiar with the area. You?ll have plenty of time to descend from 3,500? to the TOA pattern of 1,100? after you exit the SFR.

There are two routes I recommend to get to the SFR when coming from the north. Route #1 shows the course coming over VNY. This route will require that you pick up flight following because you will transition the Burbank Class C. I know it?s possible to do it without talking to SoCal, but there is a lot of traffic out there and I can?t think of 1 good reason not to be talking to them. They?ll cut you free over SMO and tell you to squawk 1201 as you approach the corridor. I?ve shown the approximate location of the start of the LAX Class B, you?ll want to make sure you?re below 5,000 before your cross the Santa Monica Mountains. I usually fly just north of VNY and pick up the SMO VOR (128 radial I believe is the course for the SFR) and plan my decent to level off at 3,500? by the time I reach the VOR.

Route #2 brings you down the coast and if you go this way you don?t need to talk to SoCal as there is no Class C airspace you?ll need to transition. I would still recommend talking to them as there is a fair amount of traffic up and down the coast and it never hurts having that second set of eyes looking at for you. Again I?ve shown the approximate location of the start of the Class B. I would fly direct to SMO and again plan to cross the VOR at 3,500?, which is located at the west end of the runway.

I usually make 5 reports when in the SFR, more than most people but I think more information is better than less. I report when over the SMO VOR, when entering the SFR over Ballona Creek (it?s the river running to the Marina, you can?t miss it), over the north and south runways and when exiting the SFR. When you pass the red and white striped smoke stacks of the power plant you are now out of the corridor and below the LAX Class B. I would call TOA at this point and report that you?re exiting the corridor and in bound for landing. They will most likely tell you to enter a right base for 29R and to report when downwind.

It?s a lot easier thanI'm making it sound, I?m sure you?ll have no problems. If you have any questions feel free to send me a direct message, I?m more than happy to help out.

Presentation1.jpg

Last edited:
shot the gap?

I shot the 200' gap all the time. it is great fun. :)
However, I would recommend you steer west over VNYs to the SMO 132 radial and miss the class C altogether, there is no advantage to shooting the gap. In addition, if you pick up flight following over Valencia, or even Gormon, they will direct you in. They are very helpful at picking out traffic. If you have never flown in LA before, picking out traffic is hard due to the jumbled background... everyone can use help from flight following.

If you are coming down the coast, I find it best to contact point mugu approach for flight following. They are not very busy and have always been a pleasure to work with. They will then hand you off to socal approach as you near SMO. I have had hit and miss luck with waiting to call SoCAl approach for flight following. I have found it is much easier to get "hooked up" via point mugu aaproach (coast route) or LA center over Gorman. They are nice people too. JMHO. There is nothing to fear here it is pretty painless if you ask for help.

Last time I went to TOA was on an IFR flight plan, Filmore VOR, DARTS, Seal Beach VOR, vectors to intercept the ILS. Piece of cake and no worries for busting anyone's airspace.

Back