What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torquing Lycoming Engine Mount Ears

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Anyone have hints or pictures on how they ever got a torque wrench in on the hardware to torque the nuts when installing the mounting ears on a factory lycoming engine? I can barely get my finger on these nuts, let alone torque wrench. The angle on these ears seems to it very difficult to get a socket or wrench in there even.

WP_001658.jpg

I looked at that and it looked dicey on the forward side of the ears near the cylinders. Almost a crow foot and a pivoting extension arm.

I seem to recall that I used a socket with a built-in universal joint. Not enough room for a conventional socket plus a universal, you need one built-in.

I used a 3/8" drive crowfoot with no problems but my ears were the nice machined billet aluminum ones from Aero In Stock.

Thanks. I verified a crow foot will fit. Just need to get a reverse adapter as my torque wrench is 1/4 and the crow is 3/8.

Borrow or, better still, buy a torque wrench with a 3/8" drive. The 1/4" drive is fine for AN3 and AN4 bolts but you'll want the heaver drive for working in the engine compartment. Also, eliminating as many adapters, etc., as possible is a plus when torquing; the play introduced can mess your results up.

Mine were already mounted, but looking at the photos, I wonder if a cylinder base wrench would work??

engine mount torque

HI
I?d appreciate if anyone inform what is the torque to be applied to the Dynafocal Engine mounts (Lord) for the RV10.

also, what is the torque to be applied to the mounts (ears) that are attached to the engine.
thanks

Marcel Ferreira
Brazil

Back