What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torqued Bolts - goop?

AboveMSL

Well Known Member
Hello,

What is the name of the, sometimes orange, sometimes blue, substance that I see in photos of folks marking their torqued bolts with?

Please forgive my ignorance. I'm from KY and I grew up learning such proper names as, stuff, things, do-hickees, thing-a-ma-jigs, goop and whatnot.

As always, thanks for the help,

Greg

Thanks all

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

I'm glad the name wasn't something completely obvious! :)

Sincerely,

Greg

Torque Seal

Greg, now that you have the formal catalog name, I think it only proper to complete your education. Having flown B52's for several years and doing countless preflights, its only fair to tell you that the common reference to this material by both USAF flight crews and maintenance personel is ... Bird****. For obvious reasons...especially if you're looking at white or yellow with a little aging on it. Part of every preflight is to make sure the stuff is in place and not cracked indication something may have moved.

Boy, the things that stick with you....

We call it glip

For some reason, we call it glip at work. I don't know how far back it goes but it's been glip for the 22 years I've been there. I've never heard it called that anywhere else.

torque seal

Torque seal is common on experimental and some military aircraft.

Not common on certified general aviation aircraft.

It lets you know if a nut or bolt has turned by showing that the Torque Seal bead touching both has broken. As mentioned, when a bolt is torqued it is applied to the bolt/nut and the non movable part. This does not alert when a bolt has become loose from streching.

It does make sense to me to use Torque Seal on an un-captured bolt or nut to make inspection easy at times of oil change, etc.

Could be short for Glyptal.

http://www.indestructible.co.uk/cat2/IP9098.html

We use it in the semiconductor industry to mark potentiometers once set.

That's got to be it. Even though we make satellites and not semiconductors at work, we are located smack dab in the middle of Silicon Valley. it could have easily drifted over from there. It could even been a left over term from the early days of the company before the satellite era. Aha, mystery solved! Thanks.

I'm going to have to pass this info out at work.

Even though I call it Glyp (or Glip) at work, outside of work I call it "torque seal" which is used to put on a "torque stripe."

Back