What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TORQUE VALUES

rv7guy2

TORQUE VALUES
Does anyone know of an easy to get to torque value chart for AN Bolts? I'm hanging my engine tomorrow and need to know the torque for AN-7 bolts and nuts. Is there a website somewhere with the info?

Dave C
RV-7
C-GCPD

You may not need a torque wrench

Jeff,

I don't know about your engine mount but my conical mount has no torque spec. You tighten the bolts until the mounts are compressed to set length.

Yours may be different but you might want to look into that. The exact length was included in the bag the mounts came in.

They're also in AC 43.13-1B which every builder should have within arms length.

Torque Values

I found "The Illustrated Guide to Engine Hanging" archived here on the vansairforce.net a help in bolting my engine to the engine mount. You should be able to retrieve it using this link.

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/IllustratedGuideToEngineHanging/enginehanging.htm

For the rubber engine vibration mounts it is next to impossible to get a torque wrench on the nut and trying to set the torque from the bolt end isn't practical. Per Van's RV6 Builders Manual and also Tony Bengellis "Firewall Forward" book the standard procedure is to tighten the bolts until they bottom out on the internal spacer in the rubber biscuit, then put in a cotter pin in the castellated nut.

Back