What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Tube Installation

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
torque_tube.jpg

I have a gap between the tube sub assembly and the flanged bearings that looks like this...

IMG_2208.jpg

Is this normal? I haven't put the end nuts on it so in theory I can even the gap out a bit. The length of the Torque tube assembly is spot on at 17 25/32.

clocking.jpg

Hi Justin,

Take a closer look at paragraph two in step 4 on page 23-7. Washers are supposed to be installed in that gap to eliminate any misalignment in the bolt holes. One of my wings has one 960-416 washer there. The other wings has a 960-416L. If your bolt holes are already aligned, looks like you might have a 416 + 416L combo to fill the gap. You don't want much (any) pre-load on that assembly so use washers to fill the gap.

Also note that the nut that goes on the end of that pushrod is not included with the kit. I had to order a few from Vans. Also also note that the torque on that nut isn't the torque for the full-size nut (AN365.) If you try to apply the AN-365 nut torque to the AN-364 nut, you can easily strip the pushrod end. Ask me how I know...

Thanks Eric, I haven't searched for that AN364-428 nut yet, strange it's not included in the kit. I'll email them today.

I read that paragraph but I'm not sure what they mean by 'hole misalignment'. Is the key to use washers to make the area snug but not so snug that you have pre-load pushing on the flanges?

Thanks Eric, I haven't searched for that AN364-428 nut yet, strange it's not included in the kit. I'll email them today.

I read that paragraph but I'm not sure what they mean by 'hole misalignment'. Is the key to use washers to make the area snug but not so snug that you have pre-load pushing on the flanges?

IIRC, the plans call for an AN365 but what many found, me included, was using the AN365 didn't allow any threads on the torque tube collar to extend through the nut. The solution was to use a combination of 416L's and the AN364 which is the low profile version of the nut which is not included in the kit.

New plans call for an AN364 in that location. Vans has updated the plans but has not updated the kit bill of materials to match quite yet :)

Back