What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Specification: Engine Mount

txaviator

Well Known Member
Good evening. Can someone please provide me with the torque spec for attaching the engine mount to the firewall? Not the torque on the engine bolts, but rather the four bolts that connect the MOUNT to the firewall. Many many thanks.
** Thinking it should just be the listed torque for that particular bolt size. I simply didn't know if it called for anything out of the norm, since it's the engine mount. But thinking out loud, a bolt is a bolt is a bolt. ??

Last edited:
AN Bolt Tourque

Gary
This is a link to the bolt chart on the home page of www.joesrv12.com
I am not sure that every think is 100% correct .
If anyone see's anything wrong please let me know

http://www.joesrv12.com/Charts/bolt_chart.htm

Good evening. Can someone please provide me with the torque spec for attaching the engine mount to the firewall? Not the torque on the engine bolts, but rather the four bolts that connect the MOUNT to the firewall. Many many thanks.
** Thinking it should just be the listed torque for that particular bolt size. I simply didn't know if it called for anything out of the norm, since it's the engine mount. But thinking out loud, a bolt is a bolt is a bolt. ??

***** The response below refers to a second question, asked privately by Jim Rogers, about torque on the cap screws that fasten the engine to the mounts. Sorry about any confusion. ********

Jim,

The current version of manual page 46-06 on the Van's Website points you to the Rotax Illustrated Parts Manual. Section 28 of that manual (available on the Internet) tells you to use 30 ft/lbs torque for those motor mount screws. When this was a hot topic a couple of years ago, there was also a recommendation to use blue Loctite on these screws. I have done this and have not had them loosen up. Suggest you read through this thread, posted at the top of the section with a sticky.: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=65020

John

Last edited:
Jim,

The current version of manual page 46-06 on the Van's Website points you to the Rotax Illustrated Parts Manual. Section 28 of that manual (available on the Internet) tells you to use 30 ft/lbs torque for those motor mount screws. When this was a hot topic a couple of years ago, there was also a recommendation to use blue Loctite on these screws. I have done this and have not had them loosen up. Suggest you read through this thread, posted at the top of the section with a sticky.: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=65020

John

The question was about different bolts... The ones that attach the engine mount to the firewall.

The question was about different bolts... The ones that attach the engine mount to the firewall.

Scott,

Sorry about confusion. Jim Rogers (JRo) had left me a text message asking about the mount-to-engine torque, so I replied here. I will add to my post making it clear what I am referring to.

John

Last edited:
Back