What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque settings for the io-540 Engine

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has the torque settings for the bolts, nuts and studs on the io-540.

I am currently looking at torquing up the mounting lugs for the engine, the prop governor, Secondary alternator to the vacuum pad and a number of other attachments.

Any advice here would be most welcome as I want to ensure I get this right.

Thanks in advance.

Stud Torque Values

Hi Mark,

Thanks, connecting with you on PM.

In the meantime, can people give me some values for the studs for the mounting ears, vacuum pad, propeller governor etc. as I think I have the maintenance manual required, but am having some trouble understanding the torque values as described. Help understanding the values would be great.

Thanks

Anyone?

Hi guys,

Anyone able to help with the torque settings?

Hoping to fit engine to cowl today...

Thanks in advance.

You want the "overhaul" manual.
Look near the very end, past the table of limits.
There are tables of "special" torques for specific parts, like cylinder hold down nuts.
After that there is a table of torques for everything else, going by bolt size.

In general Lycoming recommends higher torques than the usual for AN hardware.

Aiki, here is how I find the torque values for things in the service/overhaul manual. Go to Section 10 - Table of Limits and find The Service Table of Limits, Part 1 Direct Drive Engines, Section V Special Torque Requirements.

Look for the item description in this area first. Somethings like Spark plugs are here (420 in/lbs). Other than that, we are unlikely to use the specific values unless doing an overhaul. So move onto the page following entitled SERVICE TABLE OF LIMITS, STANDARD TORQUE UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED. This section outlines the torque required if the item was listed in the previous pages.

So for the vacuum pad, engine mount ears, etc... Find the thread size in Table I of this page and use the appropriate torque.

Back