What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Top Skin Placement

RV6Pat

I'm New Here
On a 6 slider, how far back can I go with the F-6112 skin? I'd like to have a nice aft rivet line. Just wondering how much skin I have to play with.

Thanks,

Pat

The F-6112 skin overlaps the rear top skin at the F-607 bulkhead. I suggest that you do not trim the aft edge of the 6112 skin until you have fitted and drilled the skin. Once you have that aft rivet line drilled to the F-607 bulkhead it is easy to see where the skin is trimmed aft of that rivet line (I used 3/8") to maintain edge distance from the rivet line). You will see that because the F-6112 skin forms part of a cone that the amount trimmed off is nothing at the longeron (use a mark on the side skin at the web of the F-607 to locate the aft corner of the 6112 skin) and increases toward the centerline of the skin at the top of the fuselage.
If you question is whether the skin is long enough, I don't think that there is any issue with that - the front of the skin will be trimmed to the shape of the rear bow of the slider frame, and I don't recall any issue with the length the way I did it.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Back