What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Top cowl pins

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good afternoon everyone,
I’m working on my top cowl and can’t find the drawings or instructions about securing the pins holding the top cowl down. Did I miss them or am I on my own to find a way.
Thanks
Brandon

Enjoy:

P.S. It would help if you put the type of RV you're building in your post or in your signature.

You probably need the cowl pin retaining bracket:

This might be an RV14 part,or maybe an RV7 part, but no matter. I used it on my RV6:

zoom in to my firewall in the hinge gap.

Works fine. Takes 30 seconds to remove the hinge pins, less than a minute to reinstall.

Attachments

• IMG_2232.jpeg
    IMG_2232.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 116
Brandon if you can - please try to incorporate the pins as done on the RV10 and RV14. I have done it on a 7 build and really like it. I am attaching pictures taken in 2015 during the 7 build. Easy to replicate. Now you have two same length pins that are so easy to install or remove. Also no more ugly bulge while flying where the standard two pins meet.

Attachments

• DSCF3958.JPG
    DSCF3958.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 67
  • DSCF3959.JPG
    DSCF3959.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 62
  • DSCF3960.JPG
    DSCF3960.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
  • DSCF3962.JPG
    DSCF3962.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 71
Brandon if you can - please try to incorporate the pins as done on the RV10 and RV14. I have done it on a 7 build and really like it. I am attaching pictures taken in 2015 during the 7 build. Easy to replicate. Now you have two same length pins that are so easy to install or remove. Also no more ugly bulge while flying where the standard two pins meet.
Kind of what I did except: I had a half inch or so bend in the pins that laid forward in the little slot, almost touching each other, then covered those with an aluminum plate that was screwed into nutplates completely hiding the pin ends. I had to carve grooves in the inside of the plate to accommodate the pins and make the plate lie flat. Easy job with a Dremel tool with a round head. Nothing sticking up. Did the same for the pins at the front of the cowling. And the aluminum plates are flush with the cowl. Sorry no pictures. I might get some today I can send along. Mine is a -4 but the hinges and pins are similar.

Last edited:
Kind of what I did except: I had a half inch or so bend in the pins that laid forward in the little slot, almost touching each other, then covered those with an aluminum plate that was screwed into nutplates completely hiding the pin ends. I had to carve grooves in the inside of the plate to accommodate the pins and make the plate lie flat. Easy job with a Dremel tool with a round head. Nothing sticking up. Did the same for the pins at the front of the cowling. And the aluminum plates are flush with the cowl. Sorry no pictures. I might get some today I can send along. Mine is a -4 but the hinges and pins are similar.
I did a very similar thing. Works well.
The idea of staring out the windscreen at those two pins sticking up did nothing for me. Before paint I may modify it slightly with a small Al or SS square riveted to the hinge outboard to stop the wear you can see at each side.
1707771764747.jpeg

1707771804911.jpeg

Back