What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools for spreading fiberglass micro

PaulvS

Well Known Member
I get excited by new tools (yeah I know...) and the latest discovery is that .035 thick clear PET plastic sheet can be cut to size with scissors to make a very effective spreader for epoxy micro filler. It is slightly thicker than a credit/hotel key card but is more flexible and can be curved and held at a shallower angle to get a better finish. YMMV!

Attachments

• 20231123_101826.jpg
    20231123_101826.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 20231123_102421.jpg
    20231123_102421.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 161
Another option

I get excited by new tools (yeah I know...) and the latest discovery is that .035 thick clear PET plastic sheet can be cut to size with scissors to make a very effective spreader for epoxy micro filler. It is slightly thicker than a credit/hotel key card but is more flexible and can be curved and held at a shallower angle to get a better finish. YMMV!

I do a bunch of boat repairs. I routinely save old plastic orange juice and milk jugs. For me they are the right balance of rigidity and flexibility. Hotel cards are great for flat patches or really thick micro.

I do a bunch of boat repairs. I routinely save old plastic orange juice and milk jugs. For me they are the right balance of rigidity and flexibility. Hotel cards are great for flat patches or really thick micro.

It's probably the same material, just thinner, I believe some jugs and bottles and containers are formed from PET plastic.

Another exciting discovery is that this material works very well as a flexible squeegee to push resin into pinholes after sanding.

Attachments

• 20231124_110223.jpg
    20231124_110223.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 111
nice job

your canopy filet/fiberglass looks great. did u use release tape for the edges?
Cal

your canopy filet/fiberglass looks great. did u use release tape for the edges?
Cal

Thanks Cal. Yes I used a double layer of electrical tape around the edges. The Van's RV-14 canopy finishing video on Youtube was helpful.

Back