What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools for my workshop

Hens07

Well Known Member
So this is my very first post in the VAF forums and I'm excited to join the ranks of an RV-7A builder very soon! I'm now in the process of setting up the garage to turn into my airplane factory and was wondering what tools you all find most helpful other than what will be coming in my Isham tool kit? I know I'll need a bench grinder for my scotchbrite wheel but I've also noticed people also use drill presses, band saws, cordless drills, miter saws, ect. I'm starting this workshop from scratch so I'm looking for the basics to get myself started and will then work from there. Thanks for your help and I'm excited to get underway soon!

-Andrew

So this is my very first post in the VAF forums and I'm excited to join the ranks of an RV-7A builder very soon! I'm now in the process of setting up the garage to turn into my airplane factory and was wondering what tools you all find most helpful other than what will be coming in my Isham tool kit? I know I'll need a bench grinder for my scotchbrite wheel but I've also noticed people also use drill presses, band saws, cordless drills, miter saws, ect. I'm starting this workshop from scratch so I'm looking for the basics to get myself started and will then work from there. Thanks for your help and I'm excited to get underway soon!

-Andrew

I think an important question is "What's your budget?". Are you trying to get by with the minimum possible tool expense? Are you a step beyond that? Is cost no object so long as the tool speeds your build or maybe makes something easier to do?

Give us a good idea of where you fit, and that'll help a lot.

Unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees around my house so my answer is i'd like to keep my costs to a minimum (not to mention my workspace isn't huge or anything). However I am willing to splurge if there is a consensus that a certain item is invaluable and still won't cost an arm and a leg.

OK, so here are some things I would have if I was you:

- Hacksaw. A bandsaw is nice, but is overkill on the prepunched airplanes.

- 3" tabletop belt sander. - Good for shaping and deburring thicker items.

- Air drill for most drilling work.

- Battery powered drill for deburring (on slow speed) and for countersinking.

- Extra micro-stop countersink cage. Nice to set one up for 3/32 and the other for 1/8" and leave 'em that way for the most part. Adjusting them back and forth gets old.

- Good 24" or 36" metal ruler.

- Hearing and eye protection for you and at least one helper.

- Multiple drill bits of all the common sizes: #40, #30, #19, #12, etc. Go ahead and buy a dozen or so of the #30's and #40's. Also go ahead and buy a couple of the 12" bits in both the #30 and #40 sizes.

Presumably, the tool kit you purchased has rivet squeezers, a C-frame dimpler, a rivet gun (and sets), bucking bars, cleco's, cleco pliars, etc?

Thanks for the input! Yes the kit I bought comes with an air drill, 3x rivet gun, pneumatic squeezer, and all the other small tools and bits I would need. Thanks for the heads up on buying certain extras!

andrew

Welcome to the club.
There are many, many tools that we use that are convenient to own but surprisingly, they're not essential. For instance; bandsaw - hacksaw,
drillpress - hand drill, drum/disc sander - file, pneumatic riveter - hand riveter, etc. There are however many tools you'll pretty much need to continue yor project.
An eletric drill will do the trick but a 2600 rpm air driven drill is almost mandatory.
Good luck on your project
edit: I also see you have aquired some air tools. All I will add is, don't buy too small an air compressor. See if you can pick up a foot pedal and bench mount for your squeezer,
too handy!

Last edited:
Can't say enough about Die Grinders

Welcome aboard.

A Die Grinder with the small 1" and 2" scotch wheels. Fastest way to smooth an edge or shape a round cut I know of. This will save you a lot of time and do a better job than any file. It's also the only way I know of to finish the inside edge of round holes other than a scotch pad and fingers!

tools

Welcome, Andrew! My wife and I are very new builders too. We also got the Isham kit and are very happy with it. We started from having no tools also so hopefully our list of things we bought might help you: http://rv10.brianandbrandon.com/log.aspx?post=Tools

In addition to these tools, we have a jig saw and a dremel that we seem to use so far for cutting metal. Using a hacksaw gets old real fast.

Welcome aboard.

A Die Grinder with the small 1" and 2" scotch wheels. Fastest way to smooth an edge or shape a round cut I know of. This will save you a lot of time and do a better job than any file. It's also the only way I know of to finish the inside edge of round holes other than a scotch pad and fingers!

Agree with this 1000%, taking my die grinder from me would be like cutting off my arm. I probably use this more than any other air powered tool.

Last edited:
Along with the excellent suggestion of scotchbrite wheels (and discs) for your die grinder (buy one)...get some cut-off wheels too. I didnt get on board with this at the beginning and wish I had. I personally hardly ever use my band saw, it just doesnt work very well for most jobs. Benchtop belt/disc sander is something I use alot. Also, my dremel tool is a must have.

I also got the Isham kit and love it...but I think you may have to order a back rivet plate seperately? Got mine from Spruce or you can make one but you will definitely need to get one.

Agree with this 1000%, taking my dye grinder from me would be like cutting off my arm. I probably use this more than any other air powered tool.

Die Grinders

Keep in mind that Die Grinders use a lot of air! I have a Souix but I haven't seen a bad one yet!

I think I purchased my small Scotch Brite wheels from Avery last time. BTW, don't dispose of the old used wheels when you think they are done. You will discover lots of uses for having the original size worn down to a very small diameter. Trust me, just keep all the pieces.

So from what I'm hearing do most people use a die grinder with scotch bright wheel more often then a bench grinder mount? Or is it more a matter of what piece you're deburring (small pieces use die grinder and larger pieces use bench grinder)?

Die grinder

The cheap $19 home depot models are sufficient. I believe in high quality tools but a craftsman or HD model can be returned if it breaks. Many people use a bench grinder for their scotchbrite wheel. If you are having to buy one, look for the bench polishers that have an extended shaft. That makes it so much easier to buff. Never grind aluminum with your bench grinder!

See grizzly tools as well.

I use both for different functions. Heavy pieces on the bench wheel, skins and thin stuff with the die grinder. Once you start, it will all make sense and you will be using the die grinder more and more.

I used a $20 90 deg die grinder (central pneumatic) that I got from Harbor Freight nearly 15 years ago and have never had a problem with it. Ill I have done with it is spray some LPS, WD-40 or something like that up the air intake and have never had a issue. While I admit some stuff at Harbor Freight is junk, overall it has served me well. I just bought a belt sander there $17 and have had no problems with it, and couldnt justify spending $100+ on something that I might use twice a year. It was a risk I was willing to take.

Nice to have you here Andrew!

I am kind of late here all good tips and suggestions were already spoken. Scotch was mentioned too :) The only thing I could add - get a good mop and a bucket. Do not sweep the floor mop it.

Back