What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools: Avery or Cleveland ?

wintaki

Hi, I've decided to build a -7A. I have yet to order anything yet, need to get my building space in order. However, I was going to start with ordering one of the RV toolkits.

Anyone have any insight into the Cleveland vs Avery RV toolkits? Also, the Deluxe Avery vs the normal one? Or maybe there are other options I should look at?

Any info appreciated, thanks.

-wayne

Hi Wayne (and welcome).

The general belief is that they are both fine companies and you'll need pretty much all the tools sooner or later (I did).:)

b,
dr

OK thanks... I think i will go and order the avery deluxe kit.

Now, if I could bother everyone with one other question... air compressor? I had one years ago but it was loud as heck... are they all that loud or are there different types that are quieter?

thanks

You will probably decide which "deluxe" tools you need, based on suggestions, your style and your work habits. As to the question Avery or Cleveland, the answer is yes!

Bob Kelly

Gary Bricker

The loud ones are the oil-less. I prefer the old style for that reason. Several brands are out there. Northern Tool has some of each type. I like the Ingersol-Rand but they are usually the most expensive. Sears has good stuff also. Least expensive is Harbor Freight. You get what you pay for as usual. Put a good filter/water seperator in the line.

I only have limited experience with a regular squeezer which I used at OSH, but I really like the Cleavland squeezer. It has some mechanical advantage, I'm not really sure how it works but it is definitely easier to squeeze rivets. Might be worth some consideration if your not going with a pneumatic.

also, I got the harbor freight compressor and would not do that again. First, it's very loud even though it's oil lubricated. Second, I've had it for 7 months and already had to return one, luckily still under warranty. You'll use your compressor a lot so get a good one.

Last edited:
oil less=LOUD!
oil lubed, single stage=QUIETER!
oil lubed, 2-stage=quietest.
Once you've had a 2-stage, you can't go back.
Other points; Don't buy by hp. They all lie. Some will sell you a 7 hp that will run on 110V. Ain't gonna happen. The most real hp you are going to run on 110v is maybe 1. Do the math.
Ideal is about 5 hp, 220v, 2-stage, 18 cfm@ 150 psi.
This is what I've been running for over 15 years and several airplane builds, rebuilds, and day to day shop maintenance.

Like the others said, both Avery and Cleaveland. One of the empennage workshop builders has a very good list of tools from both suppliers, preferring some tools from one, some from another. I don't feel I have the right to post it, but maybe you can talk to RV builders in a local club who have it. For instance, that instructor demonstrated how clecos from one supplier (can't remember which) are easier to use than supposedly the same cleco from the other. OP: PM me if you want more.

Also, you can get good used tools from eBay. Though especially with the pneumatic squeezers you have to be careful of the really old beat up ones, I got some Sioux air tools that are definitely superior quality to same-priced, brand-X, new ones.

More thoughts. Check prices; the identical tool can sometimes have a very different price between the suppliers. Don't leave Isham Tools off your list. Electrical tools and supplies involve another set of vendors, when you get to that point, post again!

Last edited:
The Cleaveland "Main squeeze" is worth its weight in gold to me. After trying a Tatco a few times, there's no comparison. Main Squeeze is expensive yes, but well worth the additional rupees.
Other than that, buy from any of the mainstay reputable tool suppliers, and shop around for price. Buy picking and choosing what I bought from whom, I saved >$200 on the tools in the bundled "builder tool kits".

Terry

I've done business with both Avery and Cleveland, both as a customer and as a vendor.

Avery has been an absolute joy to deal with. I wouldn't recommend ATS.

-Bill

Springback dimple dies?

I bought my toolkit from Cleaveland since people were recommending the so-called "spring-back" dimple dies, which I assumed were included in the kit. I have since placed additional smaller tool orders from both companies and got sterling service every time.

No idea whether springback dimple dies are worthy of their adulation, but the seem to do a great job.

I like the Cleaveland squeezer too, but to be honest I'm yet to find a significant advantage to squeezing over bucking (with a Tungsten bar). Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Both are great to work with

I was able to get a deal on a Cleveland RV builder kit from someone who never started to actual build an RV. I have bought some tools (mostly the specialty ones) from Avery since then. The Cleveland kit has the pricey Main Squeeze but I wouldn't use anything else (I don't own a pneumatic squeezer). I also got the 4" yoke with my kit as well which I have needed to use on occasion. The kit had a edge rolling tool but I have never used it. I had to have a RV6A builder show me what it is used for as well as how to use it. A must have in my book is a tungsten bucking bar, the extra weight of the bar makes a difference. The only other bucking bar that I use on occasion is the mini bucking bar which I grinded off the edge to get at the aft edge of the aileron and flap ribs. I ordered the Cleveland tank dimple dies when it was time to do the tanks. I also ordered 3 to 4 times the #40 and #30 clecos that the initial kit comes with. I mostly got those from Brown Tools. My friend Mike (another RV9A builder) is a tool junkie and buys constantly off of Ebay so I bum tools from him when I'm doing something unique or a once off requirement. Something I wish I had were some of the nutplate jigs but at this stage those dollars are used at Vans instead.

Once you settle on a tool kit find a RV builder close by you (or an EAA chapter) to show you what the tools are and how to use them. This will get you a good start and help your confidence.

A must is to buy a VAF hat or shirt (or two or three) from Avery's to show your RV pride and help the charity.

I'm seriously on the fence about getting a main squeeze. I think I would use it more than my pneumatic squeezer if I had one! :eek: Did I say that out loud? :D

The Cleaveland "Main squeeze" is worth its weight in gold to me. After trying a Tatco a few times, there's no comparison. Main Squeeze is expensive yes, but well worth the additional rupees.
Other than that, buy from any of the mainstay reputable tool suppliers, and shop around for price. Buy picking and choosing what I bought from whom, I saved >$200 on the tools in the bundled "builder tool kits".

Terry

Wayne,
To echo other posters, both companies are excellent to deal with. I've used both the Tatco and the Avery squeezers. The Tatco squeezer is lighter and you can get the yokes into slightly tighter spaces, due to it's slimmer yokes. I found this useful to build my rudder without the use of blind rivets. (Not a critical thing. I just like to use solid rivets)
The Avery squeezer gives you more leverage. Both Tatco and Avery claim their squeezers are good for 3/32" and 1/8" rivets. I've found that you can squeeze 5/32" rivets with the Avery squeezer. This may come in handy if you goof and have to install an oversize rivet. Ask me how I know! :-( The Avery yokes also will fit any of the pneumatic rivet squeezers commonly for sale. If you plan on buying a pnuematic squeezer, this makes the Avery a no brainer. I favor the Avery here. I bought an Avery and have borrowed a Tatco for the very few tight spots where I needed the Tatco.
Both companies make excellent "spring back" dimple dies. I bought the Cleavelands. If you break the male half of a Cleaveland die, you can buy just the broken half (for half the cost of a new set). I don't know if Avery does this for their dies. I'm sure another lister can comment on that.
I would recommend the Cleaveland edge rolling tool over the Avery. I own both, but only use the Cleaveland. I hope this helps.
Charlie Kuss

Back