What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tool Storage

kcpilot81

I have recently come to acquire a air drill and rivet gun. Unfortunately, I don't plan on starting to build until fall 2011 (space issue). So, is there anything I can/need to do to keep the tools in working order so that when I pull them out in a year or more they are in working order, i.e. not rusted to pieces. Thanks for the insight.

Tool storage

Keith, I would recommend putting a little WD40 (or similar) on a rag and wiping them down. Them put a drop or two of airtool oil in the air line opening and setting them so that it will run down into the tool. Store them in a place that is not subject to excessive moisture or humidity, and they will look like new when you are ready to build.
Or... You could get one of vans learning kits and build them until you can start your RV! Keep the rust off of em by using them.

Best,

Ben

If the tools were used, I would put enough air tool oil in the air inlet that the tool starts blowing the oil out when running. This will displace any moisture trapped inside. It is messy, but will keep it clean and from binding up. Oil on the outside, then placed in a plastic bag works. We like a product called T9 or Boeshield. We used to sell it, but due to hazmat we choose not to ship it now. It is basically paraffin that is emulsified in mineral spirits. Spray or wipe it on, the mineral spirits will flash off and the paraffin protects the surface with a thin wax coating. It has preserved a milling machine of ours for years now. I know there are some similar products for aircraft corrosion protection, you might check with a local mechanic if you only need a rag full.

Back